Schumacher still critical, no updates planned “for time being”

3 Comments

As has been the case for the last four or five days, there isn’t any new news regarding Michael Schumacher’s health. The seven-time Formula One World Champion remains in a medically induced coma, with the situation still considered critical.

A statement from University Center Hospital in Grenoble, France on Monday provided an update, which more or less continued the reiteration that there won’t be updates unless there is new news. On Saturday, Schumacher’s manager Sabine Kehm warned against any false or invalid reports.

“The clinical state of Michael Schumacher is stable as he’s under permanent care and treatment,” Grenoble hospital said in the statement. “However, the medical team in charge stresses that it continues to assess his situation as critical.”

“The privacy of the statement demands that we are not going into details of his treatment, and this is why we do not plan any press conferences, nor give out written press releases, anymore for the time being,” the statement added.

“We again insistently ask you to…stick to the information given by the medical team in charge of the patient or his management, as this is the only valid information.”

The next potential piece of news that could emerge is the status of an alleged mobile-phone video taken of the skiing accident itself. Per the Associated Press, a French state prosecutor said he wants to obtain that if possible. A further update on that front could occur mid-week.

Gabby Chaves to sub for Joao Barbosa at Sahlen’s Six Hours of the Glen

Photo: IndyCar
Leave a comment

Gabby Chaves is set to return to the IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship at Watkins Glen International later this month.

The Columbian-American driver, who last competed in IMSA in 2016 – with the DeltaWing outfit – will sub for the injured Joao Barbosa – he hurt his wrist in a cycling accident earlier in June – in the No. 5 Mustang Sampling Racing Cadillac DPi-V.R in the Sahlen’s Six Hours of the Glen.

Chaves will partner Filipe Albuquerque and Christian Fittipaldi in the No. 5 Cadillac.

Chaves expressed gratitude for being asked to fill in, but kept his enthusiasm muted, noting that he is getting the opportunity ultimately because another driver got hurt.

“The first thing is of course that you never want to have an opportunity because someone got hurt, so this is an unfortunate circumstance with Joao having his injury,”said Chaves. “But I appreciate the opportunity to join the championship-leading team. Mustang Sampling Racing has had a strong start this year and hopefully I can help the team continue to have those kinds of results.”

Chaves added, “I love Watkins Glen, it is a great track and I am looking forward to racing the Cadillac Prototype there. I’m excited to be going back to endurance racing. With different classes all racing at the same time, there is a lot for the driver to deal with as you work through traffic. So I am looking forward to racing at the Glen again, and I really appreciate this opportunity with Mustang Sampling Racing.”

Chaves’ most recent IMSA event was the 2016 Sahlen’s Six Hours of the Glen, when he finished seventh in the Prototype class.

The No. 5 Action Express Cadillac currently sits tied with the sister No. 31 Whelen Engineer Racing Cadillac of Eric Curran and Felipe Nasr atop the IMSA standings, though Barbosa’s hopes of a driver’s championship are set to take an enormous hit with him missing Watkins Glen.

Follow@KyleMLavigne