Former Cup crew chief Todd Parrott reinstated by NASCAR

Leave a comment

Former Sprint Cup crew chief Todd Parrott (pictured, from 2012) has been reinstated by NASCAR after completing its Substance Abuse Policy “Road to Recovery” program.

Parrott, who won the 1999 Cup championship as crew chief for Dale Jarrett, was suspended indefinitely by the sanctioning body on Oct. 17, 2013 for violating the aforementioned policy.

Five days later, he was released by Richard Petty Motorsports, where he had been serving as crew chief for the No. 43 Ford of Aric Almirola. Greg Ebert stepped in as interim crew chief for the last four races of 2013, and in December, Trent Owens was named to the post.

Shortly after his release from RPM, Parrott apologized for his actions and also vowed to return to the Cup circuit.

“I’m going to beat the bushes and see what’s out there, and when I come back, I’m going to be coming back pretty strong,” he told SiriusXM NASCAR Radio at the time.

“It’s just part of my family. It’s in my blood. NASCAR is where I want to be. It’s all I know. It’s all I’ve done. I’m going to work hard to get back to the top.”

Best of luck to him as he attempts to do just that.

Gabby Chaves to sub for Joao Barbosa at Sahlen’s Six Hours of the Glen

Photo: IndyCar
Leave a comment

Gabby Chaves is set to return to the IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship at Watkins Glen International later this month.

The Columbian-American driver, who last competed in IMSA in 2016 – with the DeltaWing outfit – will sub for the injured Joao Barbosa – he hurt his wrist in a cycling accident earlier in June – in the No. 5 Mustang Sampling Racing Cadillac DPi-V.R in the Sahlen’s Six Hours of the Glen.

Chaves will partner Filipe Albuquerque and Christian Fittipaldi in the No. 5 Cadillac.

Chaves expressed gratitude for being asked to fill in, but kept his enthusiasm muted, noting that he is getting the opportunity ultimately because another driver got hurt.

“The first thing is of course that you never want to have an opportunity because someone got hurt, so this is an unfortunate circumstance with Joao having his injury,”said Chaves. “But I appreciate the opportunity to join the championship-leading team. Mustang Sampling Racing has had a strong start this year and hopefully I can help the team continue to have those kinds of results.”

Chaves added, “I love Watkins Glen, it is a great track and I am looking forward to racing the Cadillac Prototype there. I’m excited to be going back to endurance racing. With different classes all racing at the same time, there is a lot for the driver to deal with as you work through traffic. So I am looking forward to racing at the Glen again, and I really appreciate this opportunity with Mustang Sampling Racing.”

Chaves’ most recent IMSA event was the 2016 Sahlen’s Six Hours of the Glen, when he finished seventh in the Prototype class.

The No. 5 Action Express Cadillac currently sits tied with the sister No. 31 Whelen Engineer Racing Cadillac of Eric Curran and Felipe Nasr atop the IMSA standings, though Barbosa’s hopes of a driver’s championship are set to take an enormous hit with him missing Watkins Glen.

Follow@KyleMLavigne