Johnson hints at NASCAR format changes; seeks continued improvement

1 Comment

“Format changes” were the buzzwords of Jimmie Johnson’s first media availability of the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series season, even if the six-time champion didn’t bite on exactly what they were.

Earlier this week, NASCAR chairman and CEO Brian France hinted during an MRN Radio interview potential format changes could come either in terms of points adjustments or race start times. Still, to Johnson, that doesn’t change the goal.

“From being in the car, it doesn’t change the driver’s mindset much,” Johnson said. “It might take someone from roughing ‘em up to dumping them. I think it’s more about perception. But looking at it and putting more weight on winning, it’s not going to change what I do.”

Johnson hinted at new qualifying adjustments for 2014. NASCAR’s road course race qualifying structure has already been announced, but nothing has been said of the remaining 34 races although the possibility exists single-car qualifying could be axed.

“Qualifying will be far different,” he said. “I thought I knew it and then Chad (Knaus, crew chief) brought me up to speed. The last I heard about it was at a town hall meeting, and then I disconnected.”

Johnson estimated he may need to “perfect things” a bit more in qualifying, rather than settling for compromise.

Of course, this availability also represented the first time the media had a chance to ask about the possibility of a record-tying seventh Sprint Cup title, a storyline that will no doubt rule the headlines all of 2014.

“I haven’t put much thought into it yet,” Johnson admitted. “If the opportunity is there, that reality will be hard to put out of my mind.”

Also of note: Johnson has at least one other test scheduled before Speedweeks, and in terms of improvement, Johnson says each member of the No. 48 Lowe’s Chevrolet unit at Hendrick Motorsports can correct things year-on-year. For Johnson, he said knowing how to judge restarts – after his Dover faux pas last year – was something to work on.

He’s not a guy to rest on his laurels, and that relentless pursuit of perfection has kept him at the head of the NASCAR field year-on-year.

IndyCar teams with NASCAR on IMS road course doubleheader in 2021

IndyCar NASCAR doubleheader 2021
Jamie Squire/Getty Images
Leave a comment

The NTT IndyCar Series will be sharing Indianapolis Motor Speedway with the NASCAR Cup Series in a race weekend doubleheader for the second consecutive season, but both series will be on the road course in August 2021.

IMS announced Wednesday that IndyCar will hold an Aug. 14, 2021 race on its 14-turn, 2.439-mile road course. It’ll be a day before NASCAR’s premier series runs the same layout for the first time after the Brickyard 400 was contested on the 2.5-mile oval for the first time in 27 years.

This season’s rescheduling of the IndyCar GMR Grand Prix to July 4, 2019 (a day before the Brickyard 400) led to the first NASCAR-IndyCar doubleheader weekend. The Xfinity Series also raced on the IMS road course for the first time July 4 after the IndyCar race ended.

INDYCAR AT IMS THIS WEEKEND: Harvest GP schedule, entry lists

IndyCar will be holding its second race weekend this year at the IMS road course Friday and Saturday with the Harvest GP.

“Our first NASCAR-INDYCAR weekend was a big success last July, with positive feedback from
our loyal fans who watched the races on NBC and from the drivers, teams and participants
involved,” IMS president Douglas Boles said in a statement. “The Xfinity Series’ debut on the IMS road course provided exactly the kind of thrilling action from the green to checkered flags that we anticipated, so we know the teams and drivers of the Cup Series will put on a great show as they turn left and right for the first time at IMS.

“We can’t wait to welcome back fans to see NASCAR and INDYCAR together during this
exciting weekend as we add another memorable chapter in the long, storied history of the
Indianapolis Motor Speedway.”

It also will mark the first NASCAR Cup-IndyCar doubleheader with a crowd as fans weren’t permitted at IMS in July because of the novel coronvavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.

Over the course of Wednesday, NASCAR is releasing its 36-race slate for next season. IndyCar has yet to release its full 2021 schedule.