F1 notes: di Resta to DTM; van der Garde named Sauber reserve

0 Comments

Two of the drivers from 2013 who failed to find a spot on the 2014 Formula One grid have landed in respectable areas.

Paul di Resta returns to the DTM, and with Mercedes-Benz. The Scot often punched above his weight in 57 Grands Prix over the last three years with Force India, and scored a best career result of fourth place twice (2012 Singapore Grand Prix, 2013 Bahrain Grand Prix). He resumes in the DTM after four full seasons there from 2007-’10, the latter of which he won the series championship.

“Much has changed since my last DTM race in Shanghai in 2010 with new cars, a new set of rules and a third manufacturer, but what has not changed is my enormous appetite for success,” di Resta said in a release. “Mercedes-Benz has given me a car that I can use to fight for wins and the title. However, I realize that it will not be easy.”

With Sam Bird known to be exploring his options in America – he’ll be racing in the Rolex 24 at Daytona with the Starworks Motorsport PC class team this weekend – Mercedes AMG Petronas is yet to nominate a reserve driver for 2014, and di Resta could be the pick there to keep him at least somewhat in the F1 fold.

Someone who is staying in the F1 fold, albeit now outside of a race seat after Caterham’s confirmations this morning, is Dutchman Giedo van der Garde. After his first season on the grid, van der Garde will move to Sauber where he has been nominated a test and reserve driver there.

“I consider this an important step in my career,” van der Garde said. “It is my goal to help the team with the development of the new car. But, of course, I am a racing driver, and I want to show the team and everybody else what I am capable of and that I deserve a race seat with the Sauber F1 Team in 2015. After all, my ambition remains unchanged and I am highly motivated to succeed in Formula One, especially in the long term.”

The van der Garde signing means Sergey Sirotkin, the Russian who had been rumored for a race seat and was confirmed as just a test driver, will be second on the pecking order to van der Garde if a race opportunity arises during the season. Sirotkin is also set for a full season in Formula Renault 3.5.

Peacock to stream all Supercross and Motocross races in 2023, plus inaugural SuperMotocross Championship

Peacock Supercross Motocross 2023
Feld Entertainment, Inc.
0 Comments

NBC Sports and Feld Motor Sports announced that Peacock and the NBC family of networks will stream all 31 races of the combined Monster Energy Supercross, Lucas Oil Pro Motocross and the newly created SuperMotocross World Championship beginning January 7, 2023 at Angel Stadium in Anaheim, California and ending October 14 in the place where Supercross was born: the Los Angeles Coliseum.

The combined series will create a 10-month calendar of events, making it one of the longest professional sports’ seasons in the United States.

The agreement is for multiple years. The season finale will air live on Peacock and the USA Network.

Peacock will present live coverage of all races, qualifying and heats across both series. The 31 total races will mark a record for the combined number of Supercross and Pro Motocross events that NBC Sports will present in a single season.

NBC, USA Network and CNBC will provide coverage of all races, including the SuperMotocross World Championship Playoffs and Final, through 2023 and beyond. For more information about the Peacock streaming service, click here.

“With our wide array of live and original motorsports offerings, Peacock is a natural home for Supercross and Pro Motocross races,” said Rick Cordella, Chief Commercial Officer, Peacock. “We’re looking forward to providing fans with an easily-accessible destination to find every race all season long, including the exciting finish with the newly formed SuperMotocross World Championship.”

MORE: A conversation about media rights created the new SuperMotocross World Championship Series

The NBC family of networks has been home to Supercross for the past several seasons and this is a continuation of that relationship. The media rights for both series expired at the end of 2022, which allowed Supercross and Motocross to combine their efforts.

In fact, it was that conversation that led to the formation of the SuperMotocross World Championship (SMX).

The SMX series will begin on September 9, 2023 after the conclusion of the Pro Motocross season. Points will accumulate from both series to seed the SMX championship, which creates a record number of unified races.

“The SuperMotocross World Championship adds a new dimension to the annual Supercross and Pro Motocross seasons that will result in crowning the ultimate World Champion,” said Stephen C. Yaros, SVP Global Media and Supercross for Feld Motor Sports. “We are thrilled to be extending our relationship with NBC Sports so our fans can watch all the racing action streaming live on Peacock and the option to also watch select rounds on NBC, USA Network and CNBC.”

Complete 2023 coverage schedules for Supercross, Pro Motocross and the SuperMotocross World Championship on Peacock, NBC, USA Network and CNBC will be announced in the near future.