Official details revealed for IMS vintage race

3 Comments

Last month, the Sportscar Vintage Racing Association revealed preliminary details for a vintage race at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. On Tuesday, the track itself confirmed the official plans for the Brickyard Vintage Racing Invitational.

Hundreds of cars from past Indianapolis 500s, cars from the NASCAR Sprint Cup and Nationwide Series, Formula One, Grand-Am prototypes and Trans-Am will take to IMS’s oval and road course configurations on a three-day weekend from June 6-8.

Iconic manufacturers such as Chevrolet, Ferrari, Porsche, Jaguar, MG and many others will compete in twelve different classes of racing. Meanwhile, there will also be a special class to feature open-wheel race cars with Indianapolis 500 or other historic racing background.

“Indianapolis Motor Speedway fans appreciate and enjoy the history of racing and welcoming this event to IMS is the perfect way to celebrate racing history with cars that have competed in all different classes and many different venues over the last 100 years,” IMS president J. Douglas Boles said in a release. “SVRA events are incredibly fan friendly, offering everyone the rare opportunity to get close to the historic racecars, talk to the owners and drivers, and trade stories about racing’s heritage. When you combine the story of each of the cars competing to the over 100 years of history and stories of competition at IMS, this will be an unforgettable weekend of racing.”

It’s yet another step in the right direction for IMS, which is seeking to do more to increase its overall bottom line in 2014. The best part about this is that this caters to those fans with an insatiable appetite to see cars from the past once again back at IMS.

If the roadsters aren’t returning to modern racing – and let’s face it, they aren’t – they’ll still have a place at modern day IMS with this announcement. Kudos to both the Speedway and SVRA for putting this together.

Gabby Chaves to sub for Joao Barbosa at Sahlen’s Six Hours of the Glen

Photo: IndyCar
Leave a comment

Gabby Chaves is set to return to the IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship at Watkins Glen International later this month.

The Columbian-American driver, who last competed in IMSA in 2016 – with the DeltaWing outfit – will sub for the injured Joao Barbosa – he hurt his wrist in a cycling accident earlier in June – in the No. 5 Mustang Sampling Racing Cadillac DPi-V.R in the Sahlen’s Six Hours of the Glen.

Chaves will partner Filipe Albuquerque and Christian Fittipaldi in the No. 5 Cadillac.

Chaves expressed gratitude for being asked to fill in, but kept his enthusiasm muted, noting that he is getting the opportunity ultimately because another driver got hurt.

“The first thing is of course that you never want to have an opportunity because someone got hurt, so this is an unfortunate circumstance with Joao having his injury,”said Chaves. “But I appreciate the opportunity to join the championship-leading team. Mustang Sampling Racing has had a strong start this year and hopefully I can help the team continue to have those kinds of results.”

Chaves added, “I love Watkins Glen, it is a great track and I am looking forward to racing the Cadillac Prototype there. I’m excited to be going back to endurance racing. With different classes all racing at the same time, there is a lot for the driver to deal with as you work through traffic. So I am looking forward to racing at the Glen again, and I really appreciate this opportunity with Mustang Sampling Racing.”

Chaves’ most recent IMSA event was the 2016 Sahlen’s Six Hours of the Glen, when he finished seventh in the Prototype class.

The No. 5 Action Express Cadillac currently sits tied with the sister No. 31 Whelen Engineer Racing Cadillac of Eric Curran and Felipe Nasr atop the IMSA standings, though Barbosa’s hopes of a driver’s championship are set to take an enormous hit with him missing Watkins Glen.

Follow@KyleMLavigne