Stunt driver who portrayed Niki Lauda in ‘Rush’ killed in car accident

1 Comment

A veteran racer who portrayed three-time champion Niki Lauda in race driving scenes in last summer’s Formula One film “Rush,” has been killed in a car crash in Italy, according to the Daily Mail in the U.K.

Mauro Pane, 50, served as the primary stunt driving double for actor Daniel Bruhl, who portrayed Lauda in the film directed by Ron Howard.

Police discovered the bodies of Pane and an unidentified female in a submerged Renault in a canal near Gambolo in northern Italy, near Milan, according to the Daily Mail report.

An accomplished race car driver, Pane previously served as a test driver for the Minardi F1 team. He also won the 2008 Historic Formula One Championship in a six-wheeled Tyrrell P34.

Classic Grand Prix, the company that supplied the historic racing cars for “Rush” said in a statement, “We are devastated to have to announce the tragic death of one of our own, Mauro Pane. Racer, engineer, champion and a fantastic friend. RIP.”

Pane becomes the second driver associated with “Rush” to die in the last four months.

Sean Edwards, 26, died last Oct. 15 in a high-speed crash at Australia’s Queensland Raceway in Brisbane. Edwards was a passenger in a Porsche that lost control, crashed through a tire barrier and burst into flames. The driver, Will Holzheimer, is since recovering. per the Australian Courier Mail.

In “Rush,” Edwards portrayed his father Guy, a former F1 driver who pulled Lauda out of his burning Ferrari after a near-fatal crash at Germany’s Nurburgring in 1976.

Rush won Best Editing honors Sunday in the 62nd annual BAFTA (British Academy of Film and Television Arts) Film Awards in London. The movie had been nominated for four awards, including Best Supporting Actor for Bruhl (as Lauda) and Best British Film.

Ken Roczen signs with HEP Progressive Ecstar Suzuki for 2023

Roczen Progressive Ecstar Suzuki
Align Media
0 Comments

ANAHEIM, California – Ken Roczen will make the move from HRC Honda to H.E.P. Motorsports with the Progressive Ecstar Suzuki team, ending a long and eventful offseason that saw his split from his longstanding team after he committed to running World Supercross (WSX).

“H.E.P. Motorsports is thrilled to announce that the team has signed Ken Roczen as its premier rider for the 2023 season,” the team announced on Instagram. “Former AMA Motocross champion Roczen will be aboard a Suzuki RM-Z450. Roczen, who won his most recent championship on a Suzuki, will be reunited with the brand and bring his exciting style, determination, and grit back to the RM Army.

“Ken Roczen will compete in the upcoming 2023 Supercross and Motocross Championship series which is set to start on January 7 at Anaheim Stadium in Southern California.”

For Roczen, it is a return to the bike of his youth and on which he had some of his greatest professional success.

“This thing has been going on for weeks and weeks and weeks in the making, but there was so much uncertainty,” Roczen told NBC Sports during Monster Energy Supercross Media Sessions. “It was a very unique situation. I just finally signed two nights ago, so it’s really only legit once the ink hits the paper. It’s been in the works for a long time, but there were just a lot of questions and a lot of input from a lot of other teams too.

“Good things take time, and I’m okay with that. I grew up riding Suzuki. Ot’s like a homecoming. It’s a special feeling”

Roczen won the 2016 Lucas Oil Pro Motocross Championship on a Suzuki before making the move to Honda. That year he won nine of 12 Nationals and finished no worse than second as he easily outpaced Eli Tomac by 86 points. He finished third in his next Pro Motocross outing in 2018 after sitting out the outdoor season in 2017.

“I am beyond excited to reconnect with Suzuki for the 3rd time in my career. We’ve had a lot of success in the past and I’m looking forward to seeing what we can accomplish together in our future.” Roczen said in the Instagram post.