Carl Edwards talks Phoenix, Daytona 500 on NBCSN’s NASCAR AMERICA

2 Comments

Last March at Phoenix International Raceway, Carl Edwards snapped a 70-race winless streak. And last fall, he was only a lap and a half’s worth of fuel from a season sweep there.

This weekend, the Sprint Cup Series returns to the one-mile PIR oval, and he’s confident that he can be a contender once again.

During an interview with Rick Allen and Jeff Burton on today’s edition of NASCAR AMERICA on NBCSN, Edwards trumpeted his Roush Fenway Racing team’s ability to find more speed in their Fords as a reason for why he’s been strong lately in the desert.

“The secret is we’ve been building really good race cars,” he said when Burton asked him about his secret to success at PIR. “[Crew chief] Jimmy Fennig and those guys, everyone at the shop – you spent a lot of time at Roush and you know how hard those guys work. But they’ve really stepped it up.

“I think our cars are better, we’ve worked better as a team, our tests have been better. And Jimmy, last year, he found some stuff – he and Dave McDonald, our shock guy, they worked on a couple of things that really helped out. The track’s great, the car drives great, and I hope nothing’s changed.”

But while Edwards is understandably looking forward to Phoenix, he’s also had time to think about last week’s Daytona 500.

Edwards was a late contender in The Great American Race, but lost the lead to eventual winner Dale Earnhardt Jr. down the backstretch with 17 laps to go.

He eventually was forced to swallow a 17th-place finish thanks to being involved in a last-lap accident.

“Looking back on it – my spotter, Jason Hedlesky, and I talked quite a bit, [team general manager] Robbie Reiser and I talked – I think it might have worked better with [teammate] Greg [Biffle] if I would have stayed behind Greg when he was leading and not taken the opportunity to jump out to the lead,” he said.

“I think we would’ve had a much better chance of one of us winning the race. But I had to go for the lead, I had some fun, I learned a little bit out there, and Dale Jr. and those guys were able to get by me.

“But, man, that was pretty cool to be leading the Daytona 500. I had a blast.”

Kyle Busch interests McLaren for Indy 500, but team is leaning toward experience

McLaren Indy Kyle Busch
Chris Graythen/Getty Images
1 Comment

With Arrow McLaren SP heavily weighing a fourth car for the Indy 500 next year, Kyle Busch is a candidate but not at the top of the IndyCar team’s list.

McLaren Racing CEO Zak Brown addressed the possibility Wednesday morning during a video news conference with Gavin Ward, the team’s newly named racing director.

“I have not personally spoken with Kyle Busch, but you can read into that that someone else in our organization has,” Brown said. “We want to make sure if we run a fourth car, we’re in the mindset that we want someone that is experienced around the 500. It’s such an important race, and from a going for the championship point of view, we’ve got three drivers that we want to have finish as strong as possible, so if we ran a fourth car, we’d want to be additive, not only for the fourth car itself, but to the three cars and so bringing in someone who’s not done it before potentially doesn’t add that value from an experience point of view.”

Busch will race the No. 8 Chevrolet for Richard Childress Racing next season in NASCAR under a new deal that will allow the two-time Cup Series champion to make his Indy 500 debut. Busch, who had a previous deal to run the Indy 500 nixed by Joe Gibbs Racing, openly courted Chevy IndyCar teams to contact him during his introductory news conference with RCR last month.

After Team Penske (which has given no indications of a fourth car at Indy alongside champion Will Power, Josef Newgarden and Scott McLaughlin), McLaren is the second-best Chevy organization, and it’s fielded an extra Indy 500 car the past two years for Juan Pablo Montoya. The Associated Press reported last month that McLaren was in “serious conversation” about running Busch at Indy with Menards sponsorship.

But with its restructured management, the team is in the midst of significant expansion for 2023. AMSP is adding a third full-time car for 2016 Indy 500 winner Alexander Rossi to team with Pato O’Ward and Felix Rosenqvist, and a massive new shop also is being built in the Indianapolis area.

“(It’s) not because of him but purely because of experience,” Brown said of Busch. “He’s an awesome talent and would be huge, huge news for the speedway. But yeah, I think everyone is under consideration if we decide to do it, but experience is right at the top of the list as far as what’s going to be the most important to us.”

And it seems likely there will be a veteran joining Rossi, O’Ward and Rosenqvist at the Brickyard.

“A fourth car at the 500 is very much under consideration,” Brown said. “I wouldn’t even want to get ahead of ourselves, but we wouldn’t be ruling out a fourth car in the future on a full-time basis. That definitely wouldn’t be for ’23. But as we expand the team and get into larger facilities and things of that nature, it’s something that Gavin and I have spoken about.

“I think we would be in a position to run a fourth car at the 500 this upcoming year. If we do decide to do that, we’ll make that decision soon for maximum preparation, and I would say we’re open minded to a fourth car in ’24 and beyond and probably will make that decision middle of next year in time to be prepared if we did decide to do that.”

Brown also addressed the future of Alex Palou, who will be racing for Chip Ganassi Racing next season after also signing a deal with McLaren. Though Brown declined to get into specifics about whether Palou had signed a new deal, he confirmed Palou will continue to test “our Formula One car from time to time.

“Everyone has reached an amicable solution,” Brown said. “We’ve now had Alex in our Formula One car as we have Pato. That will continue in the future, which we’re quite excited about. At this point we’re laser-focused on 2023 and glad to have the noise behind us and now just want to put our head down and get on with the job with the three drivers we have.”