BHA announces The Collection Auto Group and Castrol as sponsors; driver TBD

5 Comments

Several key pieces of the Bryan Herta Autosport 2014 IndyCar puzzle have been completed, with an announcement Friday confirming some new commercial partners, its car number and the official team name.

The Collection Auto Group (CAG), Ohio’s largest dealer of luxury vehicles, will join Castrol as a sponsor of the No. 98 BHA entry in the 2014 IndyCar Series. As part of the partnership, Castrol will become the primary motor oil of The Collection Auto Group.

“The Collection Auto Group’s focus on speed and customer service blends perfectly with the speed and technology of Indycar,” team co-owner Herta said in a release. “The CAG is a flagship partner under our new Castrol sponsorship, and I’m personally very pleased to welcome them to the team and sport.”

The logo will appear at three races: Mid-Ohio, the Grand Prix of Indianapolis and the 98th running of the Indianapolis 500. The announcement was made Friday at the Cleveland Auto Show.

BHA reverts to its original name, rather than the Barracuda Racing moniker it has had for two years. This news indirectly confirms that Barracuda Networks will not be returning to the team as primary sponsor in 2014.

The number 98, too, stays on as the team’s car number. When INDYCAR released the Leaders’ Circle entrants last week, BHA was listed without a car number.

As to the driver front, the front-runner all offseason has been Luca Filippi, the Italian who raced in four races over three weekends for the team the second half in 2013. Back at the Austin F1 weekend, we reported he was close to a deal. JR Hildebrand ran the remaining two California races the back half of 2013, and nearly won at Fontana before an engine issue.

The offseason has dragged on though without major movement, and when BHA tested at Sebring earlier this month, the team had 2013 Indy Lights driver Jack Hawksworth in the car.

There could be others in the frame as well, depending on the potential amount of budget they could bring to the table.

But with exactly one month until opening practice at St. Petersburg on March 28, and a little more than two weeks until preseason testing at Barber Motorsports Park, the clock is ticking.

If you want a bit of humor though, here’s a flashback to the 1998 CART race at Road America, when Herta’s Shell-sponsored car for Team Rahal was attacked by a Castrol-sponsored car, driven by Alex Barron for Dan Gurney’s All American Racers team. The AAR squad ran Castrol sponsorship in CART from 1996 through its last year in 1999.

Porsche pulls GTLM cars from Mid-Ohio because of COVID-19 positives

Porsche Mid-Ohio COVID-19
David Rosenblum/Icon Sportswire via Getty Images
Leave a comment

Porsche will skip Saturday’s IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship race with its two GTLM cars at Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course after three positive COVID-19 tests were confirmed during the 24 Hours of Le Mans.

That resulted in Porsche choosing to pull out of the Nurburgring 24 Hour endurance race in Germany, electing to avoid sending any team members as a precautionary measure.

Porsche Motorsport announced Tuesday that its COVID-19 decision also would apply at Mid-Ohio to its No. 911 and No. 12 teams.

HUSTLING HELIO: Castroneves hunting for 2021 rides in IMSA, IndyCar

Three of Porsche’s four IMSA GTLM drivers — Laurens Vanthoor, Frederic Makowiecki and Nick Tandy — also were racing in Le Mans. The trio has remained isolated in Europe and won’t be allowed to travel.

“Based on yesterday’s decision that no employee or racing driver of our Le Mans team will participate in the Nürburgring 24 Hours, we have today decided that this ruling will also apply to the upcoming IWSC race in Mid-Ohio,” Fritz Enzinger, vice president for Porsche Motorsport, said in a release. “This means that Laurens, Nick and Fred will not be traveling to the USA.

“This is very regrettable, but we would like to emphasize that in this case as well the health of all those concerned is the prime focus of the decisions we have taken.”

The decision also affects Earl Bamber, who teamed with Vanthoor to win the GTLM championship last year in the No. 912.

Porsche said its GTLM Porsche 911 RSR-19 entries will return for the Oct. 10 race at the Charlotte Motor Speedway Roval.

That will reduce the GTLM class to four cars — two Corvettes and two BMWs — this weekend at Mid-Ohio, in what could be somewhat of a 2021 preview. Porsche Motorsport announced earlier this year that it will leave IMSA after the 2020 season because of the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.