Keselowski reflects on past days of driving for Dale Jr.

Leave a comment

We have a new blogger in the NASCAR ranks, and it’s none other than 2012 Sprint Cup champion Brad Keselowski.

The outspoken Team Penske driver has already shown to be quite adept with social media, but now he’s turned his sights on blogging at his official web site.

His first post is a neat one, a reflection on his past days as a driver for Dale Earnhardt Jr. and his Nationwide Series team.

Prior to joining JR Motorsports mid-way during the 2007 season, Keselowski had been battling to maintain his place in the sport. He had moved into the Nationwide Series that year but the small team he was driving for went bankrupt.

But in June of that year, everything aligned for him. He suited up for Germain Racing in a Camping World Truck Series event to replace a suspended driver.

As it turned out, Dale Jr. – who had met Keselowski earlier that year and recently released his previous Nationwide driver – was watching. We’ll let Brad explain the rest:

The night I ran the truck race for the suspended driver, it went well. I had qualified us on the pole. I was running really well and was winning the race until I was wrecked from behind late. As Dale later told it to me, he was actually watching the race on TV. He needed a driver for his car, he saw me, and he thought, “This is easy. Let’s put him in.”

He called me up the next day when I was flying back to Michigan. “I’d like you to drive my car,” he said. “Come on down here and check it out.”

So I did.

And the rest was history. Keselowski would remain with JRM through the 2009 season before moving up to Sprint Cup full-time – and also winning the Nationwide title – in 2010 with Team Penske.

Two years later, he’d bring Roger Penske his first Cup championship.

We suggest you click the link above for the full story – and then bookmark Keselowski’s blog for future tales. Surely, he’s got more good ones to tell.

Conor Daly honors friend killed Saturday amid Indianapolis unrest

Chris Graythen/Getty Images
Leave a comment

IndyCar driver Conor Daly posted a poignant tribute to Chris Beaty, a former Indiana University football player and Indianapolis business owner who was killed Saturday amid protests and rioting in the city.

Daly said he got to know Beaty, who owned an event and marketing promotions company, five years ago when he was organizing Indianapolis 500 afterparties.

Daly annually had been involved in Beaty’s parties since then and said Beaty helped get him home earlier this year when Daly’s blood sugar crashed while at an event.

TAKING A STAND: Lewis Hamilton speaks out on racial strife

“The world lost a tremendous person. RIP Chris Beaty,” wrote Daly, who also tweeted “The violence has to stop.”

According to the Indianapolis Star, Beaty died after suffering multiple gunshot wounds during Saturday night’s unrest in downtown Indianapolis. It’s unclear if the shooting was tied to the protests.

Graham Rahal also posted about his interaction with Beaty.

Daly, Rahal and the rest of the IndyCar Series will return to action Saturday night at Texas Motor Speedway (8 p.m. ET, NBC).