Red Bull’s Horner says Mercedes could lap field twice in Oz

1 Comment

By now, it’s been established that Mercedes is the favorite going into this weekend’s Australian Grand Prix while Red Bull, the reigning four-time World Champions, are battling to be competitive after a dismal run of preseason testing.

No doubt the other teams in the paddock are thrilled at this development, but Red Bull’s team principal, Christian Horner, appears to have indicated that while his team won’t be their dominant selves, Merc’s tandem of Lewis Hamilton and Nico Rosberg may very well pick up where they’ve left off.

‘You could see a higher level of domination than we had last year,” he told the UK’s Daily Mail newspaper. “Looking at Mercedes’ race simulation, it wouldn’t be a surprise if they finished two laps ahead of everyone in Melbourne. They have a massive advantage.”

Whether it’s a last-minute bit of preseason mind games or not, only Horner knows for sure. But his additional declaration to the Mail that Hamilton is the favorite to become a two-time World Champion does go along with what’s being predicted by at least some observers going into Melbourne.

“What we know about Lewis is that he is extremely talented and naturally fast,” he said. “And he’s in a good team, so he’s probably got to be the favorite going into the season.”

F1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone has also made Hamilton his pick for the title this season, even though he told Germany’s Sport Bild that Red Bull’s top gun, Sebastian Vettel, will ultimately be the best to adapt to the new 2014 regulations “once his car gives him the chance to do so.”

Speaking of the RB10, Horner is confident that the team and engine partner Renault will be able to turn things around by the time the World Championship calendar enters its European stage later this spring.

‘We believe it is inherently a good car,” he said, again to the Mail. “I have every confidence in the team. There’s no panic. There are engineering solutions and there is no better set of engineers in the pit lane.

“By the time we get to the European races in May, we should be OK.”

IndyCar teams with NASCAR on IMS road course doubleheader in 2021

IndyCar NASCAR doubleheader 2021
Jamie Squire/Getty Images
Leave a comment

The NTT IndyCar Series will be sharing Indianapolis Motor Speedway with the NASCAR Cup Series in a race weekend doubleheader for the second consecutive season, but both series will be on the road course in August 2021.

IMS announced Wednesday that IndyCar will hold an Aug. 14, 2021 race on its 14-turn, 2.439-mile road course. It’ll be a day before NASCAR’s premier series runs the same layout for the first time after the Brickyard 400 was contested on the 2.5-mile oval for the first time in 27 years.

This season’s rescheduling of the IndyCar GMR Grand Prix to July 4, 2019 (a day before the Brickyard 400) led to the first NASCAR-IndyCar doubleheader weekend. The Xfinity Series also raced on the IMS road course for the first time July 4 after the IndyCar race ended.

INDYCAR AT IMS THIS WEEKEND: Harvest GP schedule, entry lists

IndyCar will be holding its second race weekend this year at the IMS road course Friday and Saturday with the Harvest GP.

“Our first NASCAR-INDYCAR weekend was a big success last July, with positive feedback from
our loyal fans who watched the races on NBC and from the drivers, teams and participants
involved,” IMS president Douglas Boles said in a statement. “The Xfinity Series’ debut on the IMS road course provided exactly the kind of thrilling action from the green to checkered flags that we anticipated, so we know the teams and drivers of the Cup Series will put on a great show as they turn left and right for the first time at IMS.

“We can’t wait to welcome back fans to see NASCAR and INDYCAR together during this
exciting weekend as we add another memorable chapter in the long, storied history of the
Indianapolis Motor Speedway.”

It also will mark the first NASCAR Cup-IndyCar doubleheader with a crowd as fans weren’t permitted at IMS in July because of the novel coronvavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.

Over the course of Wednesday, NASCAR is releasing its 36-race slate for next season. IndyCar has yet to release its full 2021 schedule.