Kvyat youngest ever points scorer in F1 history

5 Comments

Although fellow rookie Kevin Magnussen may have stolen the headlines with a remarkable podium finish on debut, Daniil Kvyat also put in an incredible display in Australia today to become the youngest ever points scorer in F1 history.

Kvyat made his debut today at the age of just 19 years and 322 days, and finished the race in tenth place behind teammate Jean-Eric Vergne.

With this solitary point for P10, Kvyat breaks Sebastian Vettel’s seven year old record for being the youngest points scorer in Formula 1. Vettel made his debut at the 2007 United States Grand Prix for BMW Sauber as a replacement for the injured Robert Kubica, and he finished the race in eighth place at the age of 19 years and 349 days.

“It was a very intense afternoon and finishing my first race with a point is a great feeling,” Kvyat said after the race. “It was a fantastic first grand prix weekend with the team, everyone worked really hard and scoring points was a great way to end it. So well done to everyone!”

Having struggled during pre-season and failing to impress during the dry practice sessions on Friday, the pace of the STR9 came as something of a surprise to Kvyat. Furthermore, he never expected to record a top ten finish in his first race.

“I never expected to score a point in my first race, so it feels amazing. It’s a real boost for us and now we have to keep on working hard and if we keep on the way we are going, then we can look forward to a really positive season.”

Having been fast-tracked by Red Bull into Formula 1 after winning the GP3 title last season, Kvyat is already proving that their decision to overlook Antonion Felix da Costa and Carlos Sainz Jr. was the right one.

Porsche pulls GTLM cars from Mid-Ohio because of COVID-19 positives

Porsche Mid-Ohio COVID-19
David Rosenblum/Icon Sportswire via Getty Images
Leave a comment

Porsche will skip Saturday’s IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship race with its two GTLM cars at Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course after three positive COVID-19 tests were confirmed during the 24 Hours of Le Mans.

That resulted in Porsche choosing to pull out of the Nurburgring 24 Hour endurance race in Germany, electing to avoid sending any team members as a precautionary measure.

Porsche Motorsport announced Tuesday that its COVID-19 decision also would apply at Mid-Ohio to its No. 911 and No. 12 teams.

HUSTLING HELIO: Castroneves hunting for 2021 rides in IMSA, IndyCar

Three of Porsche’s four IMSA GTLM drivers — Laurens Vanthoor, Frederic Makowiecki and Nick Tandy — also were racing in Le Mans. The trio has remained isolated in Europe and won’t be allowed to travel.

“Based on yesterday’s decision that no employee or racing driver of our Le Mans team will participate in the Nürburgring 24 Hours, we have today decided that this ruling will also apply to the upcoming IWSC race in Mid-Ohio,” Fritz Enzinger, vice president for Porsche Motorsport, said in a release. “This means that Laurens, Nick and Fred will not be traveling to the USA.

“This is very regrettable, but we would like to emphasize that in this case as well the health of all those concerned is the prime focus of the decisions we have taken.”

The decision also affects Earl Bamber, who teamed with Vanthoor to win the GTLM championship last year in the No. 912.

Porsche said its GTLM Porsche 911 RSR-19 entries will return for the Oct. 10 race at the Charlotte Motor Speedway Roval.

That will reduce the GTLM class to four cars — two Corvettes and two BMWs — this weekend at Mid-Ohio, in what could be somewhat of a 2021 preview. Porsche Motorsport announced earlier this year that it will leave IMSA after the 2020 season because of the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.