Mixed emotions as Button promoted to podium in Melbourne

2 Comments

There were several story lines of note that came out of the result change when Daniel Ricciardo was disqualified from second place in the 2014 Australian Grand Prix.

One of them we haven’t hit up to this point on MotorSportsTalk is the guy actually promoted to the podium as a result of the disqualification, McLaren’s Jenson Button.

Rookie teammate Kevin Magnussen has received a lot of virtual ink this offseason and especially after his debut, but Button shaded him throughout the race.

Once promoted, Button unfortunately did not have the chance to celebrate on the podium due to the lateness of the decision to DQ Ricciardo.

It would have been a nice touch after the loss of his father John this winter, who was a fixture at all but one of Button’s 248 prior Grands Prix. Button carried a tribute on his helmet.

Jenson did have some happier news with his engagement to longtime girlfriend Jessica Michibata also during the offseason.

“I’ll be honest: this weekend has been an emotional one for me, and the support I’ve had has been absolutely brilliant,” said Button, via the UK’s Mirror.

“That being the case, it would have been a real bonus if I could have celebrated my third place from the podium, alongside Nico [Rosberg] and Kevin [Magnussen].

“But I really feel for Daniel, who drove a great race in his first race for his new team, in front of his home crowd.”

For Button, the podium is the 50th of his career and his first Australian podium that wasn’t a race win, after three prior triumphs there in 2009, 2010 and 2012.

And for McLaren, the double podium is already two more than they had last year. With 33 points, they lead the Constructor’s Championship heading to Malaysia in two weeks.

Here were Jenson’s tweets after the race:

Zach Veach splits with Andretti Autosport for rest of IndyCar season

Gregory Shamus/Getty Images
1 Comment

Zach Veach will be leaving his Andretti Autosport ride with three races remaining in the season, choosing to explore options after the decision was made he wouldn’t return for 2021.

In a Wednesday release, Andretti Autosport said a replacement driver for the No. 26 Dallara-Honda would be named in the coming days. The NTT IndyCar Series will race Oct. 2-3 at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway road course and then conclude the season Oct. 25 on the streets of St. Petersburg, Florida.

Veach was ranked 11th in the points standings through 11 races of his third season with Andretti. Since a fourth in the June 6 season opener at Texas Motor Speedway, he hadn’t finished higher than 14th.

“The decision was made that I will not be returning in 2021 with Andretti Autosport in the No. 26 Gainbridge car,” Veach said in the Andretti release. “This, along with knowing that limited testing exists for teams due to COVID, have led me to the decision to step out of the car for the remainder of the 2020 IndyCar season. I am doing this to allow the team to have time with other drivers as they prepare for 2021, and so that I can also explore my own 2021 options.

“This is the hardest decision I have ever made, but to me, racing is about family, and it is my belief that you take care of your family. Andretti Autosport is my family and I feel this is what is best to help us all reach the next step. I will forever be grateful to Michael and the team for all of their support over the years. I would not be where I am today if it wasn’t for a relationship that started many years ago with Road to Indy. I will also be forever grateful to Dan Towriss for his friendship and for the opportunity he and Gainbridge have given me.

“My love for this sport and the people involved is unmeasurable, and I look forward to continuing to be amongst the racing world and fans in 2021.”

Said team owner Michael Andretti: “We first welcomed Zach to the Andretti team back in his USF2000 days and have enjoyed watching him grow and evolve as a racer, and a person. His decision to allow us to use the last few races to explore our 2021 options shows the measure of his character.

“Zach has always placed team and family first, and we’re very happy to have had him as part of ours for so many years. We wish him the best in whatever 2021 may bring and will always consider him a friend.”

Andretti fields five full-time cars for Veach, Alexander Rossi, Ryan Hunter-Reay, Marco Andretti and Colton Herta.

It also has fielded James Hinchcliffe in three races this season.