“Prologue” written: Mark Webber and Porsche top two-day WEC test

2 Comments

The World Endurance Championship seems to be suiting former F1 fan favorite Mark Webber just fine.

Webber, who completed a 12-year run on the Grand Prix circuit last year with Red Bull, has helped Porsche attain top honors in the WEC’s two-day preseason test known as the “Prologue.”

On Friday night at the Circuit Paul Ricard in France, The No. 20 Porsche 919 Hybrid team of Webber, Timo Bernhard and Brendon Hartley set what proved to be the quickest time of the Prologue – a lap of 1:41.289 with Hartley at the controls.

The No. 1 Audi R18 e-tron quattro of Lucas di Grassi, Loic Duval and Tom Kristensen, was quickest on Saturday but with a slower quick time of 1:43.017 that was set in the morning. The final, afternoon session of the Prologue was marked by strong winds and only eight cars took laps in that particular session.

Altogether, the two Porsche squads – the No. 20 and the No. 14 919 Hybrid for Romain Dumas, Neel Jani, and Marc Lieb – turned a total of 614 laps across the two-day run at Paul Ricard. Suffice to say, they were pleased.

“This test here was a big milestone,” Webber said in a statement. “To enter two cars for the first time was a tremendous amount of hard work for the crew on the operational side. Smooth running was a well-deserved award and a good tonic for the guys after a long week.

“Every day we run, we find more areas to improve, which is very encouraging. The track lay-out at Paul Ricard seems to suit our car very well. I’m curious to find out how we can perform in Silverstone.”

The WEC season begins at the venerable British track with a six-hour affair on Sunday, April 20th. The series will visit the U.S. once again at Circuit of the Americas in Austin, Texas later this fall.

Ken Roczen signs with HEP Progressive Ecstar Suzuki for 2023

Roczen Progressive Ecstar Suzuki
Align Media
0 Comments

ANAHEIM, California – Ken Roczen will make the move from HRC Honda to H.E.P. Motorsports with the Progressive Ecstar Suzuki team, ending a long and eventful offseason that saw his split from his longstanding team after he committed to running World Supercross (WSX).

“H.E.P. Motorsports is thrilled to announce that the team has signed Ken Roczen as its premier rider for the 2023 season,” the team announced on Instagram. “Former AMA Motocross champion Roczen will be aboard a Suzuki RM-Z450. Roczen, who won his most recent championship on a Suzuki, will be reunited with the brand and bring his exciting style, determination, and grit back to the RM Army.

“Ken Roczen will compete in the upcoming 2023 Supercross and Motocross Championship series which is set to start on January 7 at Anaheim Stadium in Southern California.”

For Roczen, it is a return to the bike of his youth and on which he had some of his greatest professional success.

“This thing has been going on for weeks and weeks and weeks in the making, but there was so much uncertainty,” Roczen told NBC Sports during Monster Energy Supercross Media Sessions. “It was a very unique situation. I just finally signed two nights ago, so it’s really only legit once the ink hits the paper. It’s been in the works for a long time, but there were just a lot of questions and a lot of input from a lot of other teams too.

“Good things take time, and I’m okay with that. I grew up riding Suzuki. Ot’s like a homecoming. It’s a special feeling”

Roczen won the 2016 Lucas Oil Pro Motocross Championship on a Suzuki before making the move to Honda. That year he won nine of 12 Nationals and finished no worse than second as he easily outpaced Eli Tomac by 86 points. He finished third in his next Pro Motocross outing in 2018 after sitting out the outdoor season in 2017.

“I am beyond excited to reconnect with Suzuki for the 3rd time in my career. We’ve had a lot of success in the past and I’m looking forward to seeing what we can accomplish together in our future.” Roczen said in the Instagram post.