Rain 2, NASCAR 0: Trucks qualifying joins Cup practice as rained out Saturday at Martinsville

Leave a comment

The rain continues to fall at Martinsville Speedway Saturday afternoon.

Earlier in the morning, the first of two scheduled Sprint Cup practices was cancelled due to the wet stuff.

Then, late Saturday morning, NASCAR officials cancelled qualifying for the Camping World Trucks Series.

Hopes are that the 250-lap Kroger 250 trucks race, scheduled for 2:30 pm ET, will still be able to take place.

Before that, the Sprint Cup drivers are scheduled to have their final Happy Hour practice from 1 pm ET to 1:50 pm ET, which at this writing is not looking promising.

With NCWTS qualifying cancelled, the grid for the field in Saturday’s hoped-for race was set by Friday’s first practice order (the second practice session was not a full session due to, what else, rain).

Darrell “Bubba” Wallace Jr., who won last October’s Trucks race at Martinsville — becoming only the second African-American driver to ever win a race in NASCAR’s three marquee series, and the first in nearly 50 years after Wendell Scott won at Jacksonville, Fla., in 1964 — will start from the pole because he was fastest in Friday morning’s first practice.

Here’s the starting grid for Saturday afternoon’s Kroger 250 at Martinsville Speedway — if the rain stops, that is:

Row 1 Darrell Wallace Jr, Ryan Blaney

Row 2 Timothy Peters, Erik Jones

Row 3 Ben Kennedy, Brian Ickler

Row 4 German Quiroga Jr., Ron Hornaday Jr.

Row 5 Cole Custer, Matt Crafton

Row 6 Gray Gaulding, Ben Rhodes

Row 7 Ross Chastain, Johnny Sauter

Row 8 Chase Pistone, John Wes Townley

Row 9 Tyler Reddick, Joey Coulter

Row 10 Mason Mingus, John Hunter Nemecheck

Row 11 Brandon Jones, Jeb Burton

Row 12 Tyler Young, Alex Guenette

Row 13 Spencer Gallagher, Caleb Holman

Row 14 Bryan Silas, Clay Greenfield

Row 15 Ray Black Jr., Raymond Terczak Jr.

Row 16 Justin Jennings, Josh Williams

Row 17 Travis Kvapil, Korbin Forrister

Row 18 Norm Benning, Jennifer Jo Cobb

Follow me @JerryBonkowski

Report: Spencer Pigot out at Ed Carpenter Racing

Joe Skibinski / IndyCar
1 Comment

Spencer Pigot will not return to Ed Carpenter Racing in 2020, according to a story Thursday by RACER.com.

The 26-year-old Floridian, who won the 2015 Indy Lights championship, is expected to be replaced in the No. 21 Chevrolet by 2019 Indy Lights runner-up Rinus VeeKay.

“I’m appreciative of the opportunity ECR gave me,” Pigot told RACER.com. “I understand the reasons they had to go in a different direction, and wish them all the best.”

In 56 NTT IndyCar Series starts, Pigot has 15 top 10 finishes, with a best finish of second at Iowa in 2018. He finished 14th in the 2019 point standings.

VeeKay, who tested in an Indy car twice for ECR in 2019, has six wins in 18 Indy Lights starts, including a weekend sweep of the final two rounds of the season at Laguna Seca in September.

A representative from ECR told NBC Sports Thursday that the team currently could not comment on any driver rumors as the team currently does not have any drivers under contract for the 2020 season, although it is presumed that owner/driver Carpenter will return to the No. 20 entry for the oval rounds.

NBC Sports will provide updates on the story once more information becomes available.