NASCAR: Martinsville win should be a relief for Kurt Busch on several levels

0 Comments

So Stewart-Haas Racing’s two newest drivers – Kevin Harvick and now Kurt Busch – have themselves a victory in 2014. For Busch, this one is as much as a relief for the rest of his 2014 as planned, as it is a great comeback story from two years with mid-level teams.

As the sixth winner in as many NASCAR Sprint Cup Series races in 2014, Busch has all but locked himself into the Chase for the Sprint Cup. The only way he isn’t is, again, if there are more than 16 race winners within the first 26 regular season races.

In terms of his gelling with SHR, crew chief Daniel Knost and the rest of the No. 41 Haas Automation Chevrolet team, Busch and company are now starting to get the results to back up the pace they’ve had thus far throughout the first six races. With third at Auto Club Speedway last week and now the Martinsville win, that’s back-to-back top-five finishes.

“His pit calls were wonderful,” Busch said post-race. “The pit crew did an excellent job holding serve on pit road, and every time that I had a little handling issue, Daniel had a fix for it today, so great teamwork. Thank you, Daniel.”

This also takes a bit of stress off Busch for his month of May double, running in both the Indianapolis 500 with Andretti Autosport and then the Coca-Cola 600 that night of Sunday, May 25.

So long as he produces a qualifying attempt for the Coca-Cola 600 on Thursday, May 22, he’s good to go for the Chase within the regulations. He would be free to miss the start of the Coca-Cola 600 if Indianapolis were to have some sort of delay, or if Busch was to win the 500-miler.

Of course missing the Charlotte start would defeat the whole intention of running 1,100 miles in a single day of racing.

Back in his day job, Busch is particularly proud of the teamwork already established by the No. 41 camp, which is also relieving.

“So it shows what teamwork is all about. That’s what I want everybody to take away from today is teamwork,” he said. “What better way to win than using that old cliché, can’t beat ’em, join ’em. I’ve got a Hendrick chassis and a Hendrick motor prepared by Stewart-Haas Racing, and we brought our No. 41 car home to victory lane.”

Take the controversy of the Brad Keselowski dust-up out of it and this was a needed result on several levels for “The Outlaw.”

Kyle Busch interests McLaren for Indy 500, but team is leaning toward experience

McLaren Indy Kyle Busch
Chris Graythen/Getty Images
1 Comment

With Arrow McLaren SP heavily weighing a fourth car for the Indy 500 next year, Kyle Busch is a candidate but not at the top of the IndyCar team’s list.

McLaren Racing CEO Zak Brown addressed the possibility Wednesday morning during a video news conference with Gavin Ward, the team’s newly named racing director.

“I have not personally spoken with Kyle Busch, but you can read into that that someone else in our organization has,” Brown said. “We want to make sure if we run a fourth car, we’re in the mindset that we want someone that is experienced around the 500. It’s such an important race, and from a going for the championship point of view, we’ve got three drivers that we want to have finish as strong as possible, so if we ran a fourth car, we’d want to be additive, not only for the fourth car itself, but to the three cars and so bringing in someone who’s not done it before potentially doesn’t add that value from an experience point of view.”

Busch will race the No. 8 Chevrolet for Richard Childress Racing next season in NASCAR under a new deal that will allow the two-time Cup Series champion to make his Indy 500 debut. Busch, who had a previous deal to run the Indy 500 nixed by Joe Gibbs Racing, openly courted Chevy IndyCar teams to contact him during his introductory news conference with RCR last month.

After Team Penske (which has given no indications of a fourth car at Indy alongside champion Will Power, Josef Newgarden and Scott McLaughlin), McLaren is the second-best Chevy organization, and it’s fielded an extra Indy 500 car the past two years for Juan Pablo Montoya. The Associated Press reported last month that McLaren was in “serious conversation” about running Busch at Indy with Menards sponsorship.

But with its restructured management, the team is in the midst of significant expansion for 2023. AMSP is adding a third full-time car for 2016 Indy 500 winner Alexander Rossi to team with Pato O’Ward and Felix Rosenqvist, and a massive new shop also is being built in the Indianapolis area.

“(It’s) not because of him but purely because of experience,” Brown said of Busch. “He’s an awesome talent and would be huge, huge news for the speedway. But yeah, I think everyone is under consideration if we decide to do it, but experience is right at the top of the list as far as what’s going to be the most important to us.”

And it seems likely there will be a veteran joining Rossi, O’Ward and Rosenqvist at the Brickyard.

“A fourth car at the 500 is very much under consideration,” Brown said. “I wouldn’t even want to get ahead of ourselves, but we wouldn’t be ruling out a fourth car in the future on a full-time basis. That definitely wouldn’t be for ’23. But as we expand the team and get into larger facilities and things of that nature, it’s something that Gavin and I have spoken about.

“I think we would be in a position to run a fourth car at the 500 this upcoming year. If we do decide to do that, we’ll make that decision soon for maximum preparation, and I would say we’re open minded to a fourth car in ’24 and beyond and probably will make that decision middle of next year in time to be prepared if we did decide to do that.”

Brown also addressed the future of Alex Palou, who will be racing for Chip Ganassi Racing next season after also signing a deal with McLaren. Though Brown declined to get into specifics about whether Palou had signed a new deal, he confirmed Palou will continue to test “our Formula One car from time to time.

“Everyone has reached an amicable solution,” Brown said. “We’ve now had Alex in our Formula One car as we have Pato. That will continue in the future, which we’re quite excited about. At this point we’re laser-focused on 2023 and glad to have the noise behind us and now just want to put our head down and get on with the job with the three drivers we have.”