Ecclestone: Haas one of two new teams for Formula 1 (UPDATED)

10 Comments

UPDATE (4:56 p.m. ET): After Bernie Ecclestone’s proclamation that Gene Haas’ Formula 1 application had been accepted, the NASCAR team owner has said that he has not yet been notified by the FIA of an official decision.

Haas also told the Associated Press that he’d need to know within the month to be ready to field an F1 program for next year.

“We’ve actually done quite a bit of planning,” he said to the AP. “We’ve actually got a lot of things in the works. But you really can’t sign any contracts until we have a license, and that’s issued by the FIA.

“I have no doubt that even if Mr. Ecclestone says that he’s OK with it, there’s probably still another few weeks of legal paperwork going back and forth before they would actually issue you one.”

Ecclestone has said that two new teams have been accepted into Formula 1 by the FIA for the 2015 season, and one of the berths has gone to the American project led by Haas.

Earlier this week, it was revealed that Haas’ project had been given the nod on the condition that the funding was in place for the team to run in the next four seasons of Formula 1.

The FIA’s initial tender suggested that just one team was required, but now Ecclestone has said that a second team will also be welcomed into the fold.

“They will be accepted,” Ecclestone explained to the media in Bahrain when asked about the Haas project. “We’ve also accepted another team as well. Whether they make it or not is another story.

“We’re happy to have another couple of teams. I’ve spoken to Jean Todt about it. We agreed yesterday, if two teams want to come in, we’ll let them in.”

The second team is thought to be a Romanian entry led by former team principal Colin Kolles. The third and final proposed project, led by Serbian businessman Zoran Stefanovic, is expected to be rejected due to a lack of resources in place unlike the Haas and Kolles projects. Interestingly, this would mark the fourth occasion that Stefan GP has been denied entry into Formula 1.

Although the FIA is yet to release an official statement regarding the new teams, Ecclestone’s comments certainly make for good reading for those at Haas, and also Formula 1’s standing in the United States.

Should both teams get accepted and make the grid, we would have 26 cars and drivers racing in Formula 1, but it remains to be seen if some of the pre-existing teams will remain in the sport.

Porsche pulls GTLM cars from Mid-Ohio because of COVID-19 positives

Porsche Mid-Ohio COVID-19
David Rosenblum/Icon Sportswire via Getty Images
Leave a comment

Porsche will skip Saturday’s IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship race with its two GTLM cars at Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course after three positive COVID-19 tests were confirmed during the 24 Hours of Le Mans.

That resulted in Porsche choosing to pull out of the Nurburgring 24 Hour endurance race in Germany, electing to avoid sending any team members as a precautionary measure.

Porsche Motorsport announced Tuesday that its COVID-19 decision also would apply at Mid-Ohio to its No. 911 and No. 12 teams.

HUSTLING HELIO: Castroneves hunting for 2021 rides in IMSA, IndyCar

Three of Porsche’s four IMSA GTLM drivers — Laurens Vanthoor, Frederic Makowiecki and Nick Tandy — also were racing in Le Mans. The trio has remained isolated in Europe and won’t be allowed to travel.

“Based on yesterday’s decision that no employee or racing driver of our Le Mans team will participate in the Nürburgring 24 Hours, we have today decided that this ruling will also apply to the upcoming IWSC race in Mid-Ohio,” Fritz Enzinger, vice president for Porsche Motorsport, said in a release. “This means that Laurens, Nick and Fred will not be traveling to the USA.

“This is very regrettable, but we would like to emphasize that in this case as well the health of all those concerned is the prime focus of the decisions we have taken.”

The decision also affects Earl Bamber, who teamed with Vanthoor to win the GTLM championship last year in the No. 912.

Porsche said its GTLM Porsche 911 RSR-19 entries will return for the Oct. 10 race at the Charlotte Motor Speedway Roval.

That will reduce the GTLM class to four cars — two Corvettes and two BMWs — this weekend at Mid-Ohio, in what could be somewhat of a 2021 preview. Porsche Motorsport announced earlier this year that it will leave IMSA after the 2020 season because of the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.