Force India owner Mallya delighted with Perez podium

1 Comment

Force India team owner and team principal Vijay Mallya was in a jubilant mood following Sergio Perez’s podium finish in today’s Bahrain Grand Prix, which was just the second in the team’s seven year history.

Perez started in fourth place and raced well to fend off Red Bull’s Daniel Ricciardo on the last lap of the race and finish on the podium for the first time since the 2012 Italian Grand Prix.

“It is a very special moment,” Mallya told the official Formula 1 website. “My job was always to make this team climb up the ladder – steadily. I always believed that 2014 – with all the new regulations – gave us a new opportunity. And so far what a good season it has been! We finished sixth in Australia, we improved to fifth in Malaysia – and I think I hinted in Malaysia that I hoped that we could improve further, and there you have it: the podium in Bahrain!”

Mallya spoke about a “jinx” that had blighted the team’s efforts in recent years. Nico Hulkenberg crashed out from the lead at the 2012 Brazilian Grand Prix, and Paul di Resta came close to a podium finish at last year’s Bahrain Grand Prix.

“Everybody in the team is absolutely delighted that we have finally achieved the podium,” he said. “Last year we were quite unlucky, but today the jinx is broken – and I would not mind if this is the start of a nice series of podiums.”

The team’s first podium finisher was Giancarlo Fisichella at the 2009 Belgian Grand Prix. In quite an odd occurrence, the team appeared to simply have the perfect car for that track on that particular weekend. The Italian driver claimed pole position, but was denied victory by a KERS-powered Kimi Raikkonen at Spa on that day.

Mallya hopes that the team can grace the podium once again at the next race in China, but he is refusing to get ahead of himself despite Force India lying second in the constructors’ championship.

“We are always trying to improve,” he said. “If we can repeat the podium, that would of course be fantastic. But it is so competitive here that it is not possible to predict anything. I think the only team that can make a sensible prediction is Mercedes because they are so much quicker than anybody else. But I don’t think that any other team can accurately predict where they will be.”

Ken Roczen signs with HEP Progressive Ecstar Suzuki for 2023

Roczen Progressive Ecstar Suzuki
Align Media
0 Comments

ANAHEIM, California – Ken Roczen will make the move from HRC Honda to H.E.P. Motorsports with the Progressive Ecstar Suzuki team, ending a long and eventful offseason that saw his split from his longstanding team after he committed to running World Supercross (WSX).

“H.E.P. Motorsports is thrilled to announce that the team has signed Ken Roczen as its premier rider for the 2023 season,” the team announced on Instagram. “Former AMA Motocross champion Roczen will be aboard a Suzuki RM-Z450. Roczen, who won his most recent championship on a Suzuki, will be reunited with the brand and bring his exciting style, determination, and grit back to the RM Army.

“Ken Roczen will compete in the upcoming 2023 Supercross and Motocross Championship series which is set to start on January 7 at Anaheim Stadium in Southern California.”

For Roczen, it is a return to the bike of his youth and on which he had some of his greatest professional success.

“This thing has been going on for weeks and weeks and weeks in the making, but there was so much uncertainty,” Roczen told NBC Sports during Monster Energy Supercross Media Sessions. “It was a very unique situation. I just finally signed two nights ago, so it’s really only legit once the ink hits the paper. It’s been in the works for a long time, but there were just a lot of questions and a lot of input from a lot of other teams too.

“Good things take time, and I’m okay with that. I grew up riding Suzuki. Ot’s like a homecoming. It’s a special feeling”

Roczen won the 2016 Lucas Oil Pro Motocross Championship on a Suzuki before making the move to Honda. That year he won nine of 12 Nationals and finished no worse than second as he easily outpaced Eli Tomac by 86 points. He finished third in his next Pro Motocross outing in 2018 after sitting out the outdoor season in 2017.

“I am beyond excited to reconnect with Suzuki for the 3rd time in my career. We’ve had a lot of success in the past and I’m looking forward to seeing what we can accomplish together in our future.” Roczen said in the Instagram post.