Ricciardo fights back to finish fourth (VIDEO)

4 Comments

Daniel Ricciardo has finally ended his luckless run of form after finishing fourth in today’s Bahrain Grand Prix, with the result marking his best ever finish in Formula 1 and his first points for Red Bull.

The Australian driver did finish his home grand prix in second place at the beginning of the season, but he was then disqualified after his car was found to have exceeded the fuel flow limit. The team has appealed against this, and will learn the decision of the FIA on April 14th.

Following this, Ricciardo then had his race ruined by a pit stop error in Malaysia, causing him to retire. He was also handed a 10 place grid penalty for the Bahrain GP after the unsafe release.

After qualifying in third place yesterday, Ricciardo started down in P13, but he managed to fight his way up the order. Following the safety car period, he was given a chance to push harder on his final set of tires, and very nearly caught Sergio Perez in the final podium position at the end of the race after passing teammate Sebastian Vettel earlier in the race. Ultimately, he was forced to settle for fourth, but it did mark his first points haul of the season.

The team’s hopes of getting Ricciardo reinstated in Australia appear to be slim, but Ricciardo will be happy to have finally broken his streak of bad luck ahead of the Chinese Grand Prix in two weeks’ time.

Ken Roczen signs with HEP Progressive Ecstar Suzuki for 2023

Roczen Progressive Ecstar Suzuki
Align Media
0 Comments

ANAHEIM, California – Ken Roczen will make the move from HRC Honda to H.E.P. Motorsports with the Progressive Ecstar Suzuki team, ending a long and eventful offseason that saw his split from his longstanding team after he committed to running World Supercross (WSX).

“H.E.P. Motorsports is thrilled to announce that the team has signed Ken Roczen as its premier rider for the 2023 season,” the team announced on Instagram. “Former AMA Motocross champion Roczen will be aboard a Suzuki RM-Z450. Roczen, who won his most recent championship on a Suzuki, will be reunited with the brand and bring his exciting style, determination, and grit back to the RM Army.

“Ken Roczen will compete in the upcoming 2023 Supercross and Motocross Championship series which is set to start on January 7 at Anaheim Stadium in Southern California.”

For Roczen, it is a return to the bike of his youth and on which he had some of his greatest professional success.

“This thing has been going on for weeks and weeks and weeks in the making, but there was so much uncertainty,” Roczen told NBC Sports during Monster Energy Supercross Media Sessions. “It was a very unique situation. I just finally signed two nights ago, so it’s really only legit once the ink hits the paper. It’s been in the works for a long time, but there were just a lot of questions and a lot of input from a lot of other teams too.

“Good things take time, and I’m okay with that. I grew up riding Suzuki. Ot’s like a homecoming. It’s a special feeling”

Roczen won the 2016 Lucas Oil Pro Motocross Championship on a Suzuki before making the move to Honda. That year he won nine of 12 Nationals and finished no worse than second as he easily outpaced Eli Tomac by 86 points. He finished third in his next Pro Motocross outing in 2018 after sitting out the outdoor season in 2017.

“I am beyond excited to reconnect with Suzuki for the 3rd time in my career. We’ve had a lot of success in the past and I’m looking forward to seeing what we can accomplish together in our future.” Roczen said in the Instagram post.