Interlagos, one of F1’s beloved tracks, getting major facelift

3 Comments

Last fall, NBCSN gave you a glimpse into the “cozy” paddock at Interlagos, the home of Formula One’s Brazilian Grand Prix. The famed track has been regarded as one of F1’s best, but opinions on the entire facility itself were mixed.

Its somewhat run-down state caused Bernie Ecclestone to threaten to move the Grand Prix to Rio de Janeiro last year. But in October, it was confirmed that the race would stay at Interlagos through 2020, and today, the contract for that deal was officially signed per the Associated Press.

Additionally, more details were revealed regarding a facelift for the track, which will cost more than $70 million.

Agence France-Presse says the money will go toward a track resurfacing, new grandstands, and a more open paddock for team members, who have often fretted about cramped environs.

The track will close in mid-July and then be re-opened a month before this year’s Brazilian Grand Prix on Nov. 7-9.

Work will then restart in December, with completion set for February of 2015.

Ken Roczen signs with HEP Progressive Ecstar Suzuki for 2023

Roczen Progressive Ecstar Suzuki
Align Media
0 Comments

ANAHEIM, California – Ken Roczen will make the move from HRC Honda to H.E.P. Motorsports with the Progressive Ecstar Suzuki team, ending a long and eventful offseason that saw his split from his longstanding team after he committed to running World Supercross (WSX).

“H.E.P. Motorsports is thrilled to announce that the team has signed Ken Roczen as its premier rider for the 2023 season,” the team announced on Instagram. “Former AMA Motocross champion Roczen will be aboard a Suzuki RM-Z450. Roczen, who won his most recent championship on a Suzuki, will be reunited with the brand and bring his exciting style, determination, and grit back to the RM Army.

“Ken Roczen will compete in the upcoming 2023 Supercross and Motocross Championship series which is set to start on January 7 at Anaheim Stadium in Southern California.”

For Roczen, it is a return to the bike of his youth and on which he had some of his greatest professional success.

“This thing has been going on for weeks and weeks and weeks in the making, but there was so much uncertainty,” Roczen told NBC Sports during Monster Energy Supercross Media Sessions. “It was a very unique situation. I just finally signed two nights ago, so it’s really only legit once the ink hits the paper. It’s been in the works for a long time, but there were just a lot of questions and a lot of input from a lot of other teams too.

“Good things take time, and I’m okay with that. I grew up riding Suzuki. Ot’s like a homecoming. It’s a special feeling”

Roczen won the 2016 Lucas Oil Pro Motocross Championship on a Suzuki before making the move to Honda. That year he won nine of 12 Nationals and finished no worse than second as he easily outpaced Eli Tomac by 86 points. He finished third in his next Pro Motocross outing in 2018 after sitting out the outdoor season in 2017.

“I am beyond excited to reconnect with Suzuki for the 3rd time in my career. We’ve had a lot of success in the past and I’m looking forward to seeing what we can accomplish together in our future.” Roczen said in the Instagram post.