Hermie Sadler to promote new wrestling group in Denny Hamlin’s Short Track Showdown

Leave a comment

Hermie Sadler will never be confused with former wrestling greats Hulk Hogan, The Rock, Stone Cold Steve Austin – not even Rik “Wooooo” Flair.

But the NASCAR analyst for Fox Sports 1 has been a longtime fan of wrestling and will now become somewhat of a decision maker, too.

According to Newsday, Sadler, who used to wrestle race cars on racetracks when he was a driver, has accepted an invitation to be part of a different kind of wrestling as a member of the board of directors of the new Global Force Wrestling series, expected to debut later this summer.

Having been friends with Sadler for two decades, former WWE and TNA star Jeff Jarrett – and if you’re wondering, no, there’s no relation to Dale Jarrett – knew Sadler was such a fan of the rasslin’ game that asking him to join GFW’s board was a no-brainer.

To celebrate and commemorate his involvement, when Sadler takes part and races in Thursday’s Denny Hamlin Short Track Showdown at South Boston (Va.) Speedway, his car will carry logos of GFW.

“(I’m) just trying to get the word out about the brand, and let as many people know that there’s another wrestling promotion that’s coming,” Sadler told Newsday.

Not only will he be promoting GFW at South Boston, Sadler will also be celebrating his 45th birthday there, where he and younger brother Elliott cut their racing teeth earlier in their respective racing careers.

Sadler believes in being hands-on, and while it’s likely he won’t climb into the ring, he hopes to eventually expand his involvement with GFW as an announcer and promoter, as he used to do on the TNA circuit.

“What I’d like to do is kind of like what I did with TNA a long time ago, maybe pick a territory and do some live events,” Sadler said.

Expected to be heavily dependent upon TV broadcasts, GFW is working with a heavyweight in that industry, 25/7 Productions, which is known for producing hit shows including “The Biggest Loser.”

Sadler has been a wrestling fan for more than 35 years, and still vividly remembers the first match he ever saw in person: Flair vs. Wahoo McDaniel in his hometown of Emporia, Va., when he was about 7 or 8 years old.

“I’m very, very lucky,” Sadler said about his involvement with GFW. “I get to do what I love [NASCAR] for a living, first of all.

“And then to get involved in another startup wrestling organization that’s going to bring together a lot of people and employ a lot of people and entertain a lot of people. So, I’m excited about that.”

Follow me @JerryBonkowski

Juncos Racing to field single car entry in Indy 500

Christian Petersen/Getty Images
Leave a comment

Part-time NTT IndyCar Series entrant Juncos Racing will announce their attempt to qualify for the 2019 Indianapolis 500 within the next few weeks, according to RACER.

The team, which made its Indy 500 debut in 2017, ran 12 of the 17 IndyCar Series races last season, but has only made a start in one of the four events so far in 2019, finishing 18th in the inaugural running of the IndyCar Classic at Circuit of the Americas with Kyle Kaiser behind the wheel.

Though no driver has yet to be announced for the single-car entry, Kaiser is expected to be the leading candidate for the ride. The 23-year-old Californian has raced for the team since 2014, where he won the 2017 Indy Lights championship.

One of the top teams in the Road to Indy ladder system, Juncos Racing has over 50 wins between Indy Lights and Indy Pro 2000 competition. The team’s most recent victory came in the second Indy Lights race at St. Petersburg this year with Rinus VeeKay behind the wheel.

Follow Michael Eubanks on Twitter