FOTA given a fitting final send-off at London party

1 Comment

The Formula One Teams’ Association (FOTA) may have come to an untimely end earlier this year, but that did not stop the group organizing one final event for the fans that took place in London yesterday.

The group was set up back in 2008 with the intention of being a unified body for the teams that could work with the FIA and the commercial rights holder. Despite some initial success, the withdrawal of Ferrari, Sauber, Red Bull and Toro Rosso by the end of 2011 undermined the ‘united front’ that FOTA stood for.

With the formation of the F1 strategy group last season – comprising of Ferrari, Red Bull, Mercedes, Williams, McLaren and Lotus – FOTA soon became redundant, and eventually folded in February.

However, away from the political sphere of Formula 1, FOTA did some amazing work to bring the sport closer to the fans. Through the forum events that were held all over the world, fans were able to put questions to a number of F1 drivers, team principals and legends. In Austin last year, fans were treated to an audience with Sergio Perez, Esteban Gutierrez, Alexander Rossi, Adrian Sutil and Pastor Maldonado. They also got the chance to win some great prizes and merchandise.

Therefore, when it was confirmed that FOTA was folding, general secretary Oliver Weingarten came up with the idea to hold a small event to offload some of the remaining items and goods that he had. However, thanks to the kindness of the teams, this soon escalated into a final big party in Marylebone with hundreds of fans in attendance.

Marussia president Graeme Lowdon made an appearance on stage, fresh from a teams meeting about cost cutting measures, but he was reluctant to talk about it. Instead, he underlined the importance of the fans in Formula 1, and how events such as this acted as proof that they have a voice which cannot be ignored.

British F1 legend John Watson also made an appearance and was happy to answer questions from the crowd, before helping to auction off some team gear and signed photos. Proceeds were divided between Great Ormond Street Hospital and the Instituto Ayrton Senna.

All in all, it was one final hurrah for FOTA, and it was fitting that this did not come in a boardroom, but instead with the fans at the heart of it.

To Olly and all the others at FOTA, thank you, and the very best of luck for the future.

Helio Castroneves ‘hustling’ for IndyCar, IMSA rides; talking with four to five teams

Helio Castroneves IMSA IndyCar
IMSA
Leave a comment

As his season gathers steam, Helio Castroneves said his prospects for finding new rides for 2021 in IMSA and IndyCar also are gaining momentum.

The three-time Indianapolis 500 winner said Monday he is optimistic about landing in either or perhaps a combination of both series when Team Penske and Acura end their DPi partnership after this season.

“A lot of people I spoke with, four to five teams, are interested,” Castroneves said. “Whether it’s doing Indy 500 only, whether it’s pushing to do full time or do the sports cars as well. It’s been a very nice conversation.

LOOKING AHEADTeam Penske drivers seeking new rides for 2021

“I have a lot of respect for all the teams that have been talking, and I feel the same feedback. We just have to wait for their (sponsor) connections, and I’m also looking for some connections on my side as well, so hopefully we’ll be able to put this together and get something very soon.”

Given two decades of success with Penske in IndyCar and IMSA, Castroneves’ resume hardly needs burnishing. But the Brazilian has combined with co-driver Ricky Taylor in the No. 7 Acura DPi to win the past two overall victories at Road America and Michelin Raceway Road Atlanta.

But Castroneves, who doesn’t have a manager, said he has been working the phones hard rather than wait for the strong results to bring in the calls.

“At this point, I feel like I’m the one who needs to be talking to them because people need to know I want to continue racing and understand my desire,” Castroneves, 45, said. “There is opportunity, no question, in both (IndyCar and IMSA), which I’m really happy about it. However, because of the COVID-19, a lot of things sometimes have to be a little delayed. But I’m excited. Whatever the opportunity and whatever destiny guides me, whether IndyCar or sports cars, trust me I’ll be as happy as it could be and doing my 100 percent like I always did.

“It’s like politics, you need to be out there, good news or bad news. People have to make notice of your presence. I’m hustling. I want to continue to keep it going. Hopefully, we’ll have good news very soon.”

The news has been all good lately on track for Castroneves and Taylor, who hope to continue their run Sunday at Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course.

The No. 6 duo has surged to sixth in the IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship standings, 10 points out of the lead with four races remaining. After thinking there was “no hope” to be competitive after opening the season with three consecutive poor finishes, Taylor now sees an opportunity for a happy ending.

“With the program going away, Helio has won all the big races and given so much back to the team and left such a mark, he’s really part of Penske history,” Taylor said. “For me, it’s been an opportunity of a lifetime to be a part of it. I’d like to leave my little mark as well. Helio has won everything except for a championship.

“Obviously, we’ve won races already together, but we can win a championship now. I think if both of us can do that together and both win our first championship for ‘The Captain,’ that would be an absolute dream come true, and we can tie a bow on it and be happy.”