McLaren hopeful for “fresh push and spirit” starting at Barcelona

1 Comment

After signaling their intent to roll out a series of upgrades all the way into the heart of summer, McLaren surely hopes that what they’ve concocted for this weekend’s Spanish Grand Prix will lead to better results for drivers Jenson Button and Kevin Magnussen.

Racing director Eric Boullier has had to keep the Woking team from getting discouraged after a subpar Chinese Grand Prix, but the Frenchman says that everyone’s ready to improve their fortunes.

“For us, the weekend will be about learning, and hopefully moving on from our disappointing performance in China last month,” he said. “The root of our under-performance has been comprehensively analyzed; we know the areas where our package falls short, and we’ve taken steps – both short- and long-term – to address those.

“While not all of those will be in evidence in Barcelona this weekend, they mark the start of a fresh push and spirit within the whole organization.”

Button and Magnussen both finished out of the points in Shanghai, marking the culmination of a dramatic fall in performance since they both landed on the podium during the season-opening Grand Prix in Australia.

In his comments, Button said that Barcelona always marks something of a fresh start to the season but this year, it’s an especially important one for him and McLaren.

“For us, it’s not simply about bringing new parts to the circuit: it’s about understanding and unlocking the car’s secrets, and using that understanding to take bigger steps with performance,” the former World Champion said.

“We’re still at the early stages with our car, and, for us, it’s less about the components that we fit to it, and more about the bigger picture – finding a useful direction, gaining trust in our measurements and pushing ahead.”

As for Magnussen, he has fond memories of Barcelona after sweeping the weekend there last year in Formula Renault 3.5 before he made the jump to F1.

He’s anxious to show that McLaren’s learned from their issues.

“I think the problems we encountered in China have definitely given us the data and the impetus we need to make some changes, so I’m keen to get back in the car on Friday and see if we’ve made a step forward,” he said.

Ken Roczen signs with HEP Progressive Ecstar Suzuki for 2023

Roczen Progressive Ecstar Suzuki
Align Media
0 Comments

ANAHEIM, California – Ken Roczen will make the move from HRC Honda to H.E.P. Motorsports with the Progressive Ecstar Suzuki team, ending a long and eventful offseason that saw his split from his longstanding team after he committed to running World Supercross (WSX).

“H.E.P. Motorsports is thrilled to announce that the team has signed Ken Roczen as its premier rider for the 2023 season,” the team announced on Instagram. “Former AMA Motocross champion Roczen will be aboard a Suzuki RM-Z450. Roczen, who won his most recent championship on a Suzuki, will be reunited with the brand and bring his exciting style, determination, and grit back to the RM Army.

“Ken Roczen will compete in the upcoming 2023 Supercross and Motocross Championship series which is set to start on January 7 at Anaheim Stadium in Southern California.”

For Roczen, it is a return to the bike of his youth and on which he had some of his greatest professional success.

“This thing has been going on for weeks and weeks and weeks in the making, but there was so much uncertainty,” Roczen told NBC Sports during Monster Energy Supercross Media Sessions. “It was a very unique situation. I just finally signed two nights ago, so it’s really only legit once the ink hits the paper. It’s been in the works for a long time, but there were just a lot of questions and a lot of input from a lot of other teams too.

“Good things take time, and I’m okay with that. I grew up riding Suzuki. Ot’s like a homecoming. It’s a special feeling”

Roczen won the 2016 Lucas Oil Pro Motocross Championship on a Suzuki before making the move to Honda. That year he won nine of 12 Nationals and finished no worse than second as he easily outpaced Eli Tomac by 86 points. He finished third in his next Pro Motocross outing in 2018 after sitting out the outdoor season in 2017.

“I am beyond excited to reconnect with Suzuki for the 3rd time in my career. We’ve had a lot of success in the past and I’m looking forward to seeing what we can accomplish together in our future.” Roczen said in the Instagram post.