Rosberg: One more lap might have been enough

0 Comments

Nico Rosberg believes that he might have been able to pass Lewis Hamilton and win the Spanish Grand Prix had the race been one lap longer, after finishing just 0.6 seconds behind the Briton in second place today.

Hamilton won the race from pole position, but he came under significant pressure from Rosberg in the dying stages of the race as the German driver caught up on quicker tires. Despite getting within DRS range, he was never close enough to try and make a pass, but he believes that a 67th lap could have provided this.

“I think one more, to be honest,” Rosberg explained on the podium after the race. “One more, I could have given it a good go.

“I wasn’t close enough to give it a go there, but next lap I would have. But unfortunately that was it.

“A bit gutted, but still, second place, still close in the championship and many more races to go anyway.”

Rosberg lost the lead of the championship to Hamilton this weekend, and now trails his teammate by three points. However, he did maintain his 100% podium record in 2014, and is now hoping to repeat his 2013 win at the next race in Monaco.

“Definitely, I’ll be going there to do it one better, try and come first there and repeat the win from last year,” he said when asked about the race in two weeks’ time. “That’s the aim, we’ll see if it works out.”

Hamilton was quick to say that he believed Rosberg was the quicker driver all weekend, but he still managed to finish ahead on track and secure his fourth straight win. However, Rosberg will know that he came very close today, and was not as far behind as he had been in China. There is still a very long way to go in the 2014 season, and we can expect this intra-team battle to rage on until the final round in Abu Dhabi.

Ken Roczen signs with HEP Progressive Ecstar Suzuki for 2023

Roczen Progressive Ecstar Suzuki
Align Media
0 Comments

ANAHEIM, California – Ken Roczen will make the move from HRC Honda to H.E.P. Motorsports with the Progressive Ecstar Suzuki team, ending a long and eventful offseason that saw his split from his longstanding team after he committed to running World Supercross (WSX).

“H.E.P. Motorsports is thrilled to announce that the team has signed Ken Roczen as its premier rider for the 2023 season,” the team announced on Instagram. “Former AMA Motocross champion Roczen will be aboard a Suzuki RM-Z450. Roczen, who won his most recent championship on a Suzuki, will be reunited with the brand and bring his exciting style, determination, and grit back to the RM Army.

“Ken Roczen will compete in the upcoming 2023 Supercross and Motocross Championship series which is set to start on January 7 at Anaheim Stadium in Southern California.”

For Roczen, it is a return to the bike of his youth and on which he had some of his greatest professional success.

“This thing has been going on for weeks and weeks and weeks in the making, but there was so much uncertainty,” Roczen told NBC Sports during Monster Energy Supercross Media Sessions. “It was a very unique situation. I just finally signed two nights ago, so it’s really only legit once the ink hits the paper. It’s been in the works for a long time, but there were just a lot of questions and a lot of input from a lot of other teams too.

“Good things take time, and I’m okay with that. I grew up riding Suzuki. Ot’s like a homecoming. It’s a special feeling”

Roczen won the 2016 Lucas Oil Pro Motocross Championship on a Suzuki before making the move to Honda. That year he won nine of 12 Nationals and finished no worse than second as he easily outpaced Eli Tomac by 86 points. He finished third in his next Pro Motocross outing in 2018 after sitting out the outdoor season in 2017.

“I am beyond excited to reconnect with Suzuki for the 3rd time in my career. We’ve had a lot of success in the past and I’m looking forward to seeing what we can accomplish together in our future.” Roczen said in the Instagram post.