Lewis Hamilton surprised by winning streak

Leave a comment

Lewis Hamilton has revealed that he never expected to enjoy such a successful start to the season, having won the last four races, but he has no plans of stopping any time soon as the Formula 1 circus heads to Monaco next weekend.

The British driver took the lead of the drivers’ championship in Spain after defeating teammate Nico Rosberg by just 0.6 seconds, and he is hoping for a repeat result around the streets of Monte Carlo at F1’s blue riband event.

“Monaco is just incredible to drive and any driver will tell you that’s the race they want to win,” Hamilton said. “So many great names become legends around this circuit. It’s an honor to fight for your place amongst them and a real test of your skills behind the wheel.

“The last few races have been just incredible. I honestly never expected I’d win four consecutive grands prix in my career and I’d love to continue that run here.”

Hamilton still believes that there is room for improvement with the car, and felt uncomfortable throughout the Spanish Grand Prix weekend despite secure pole position and the win.

“I’ve had some work to do in terms of getting the car exactly as I want it after the weekend in Spain,” he said. “It was so close between our cars at the end and I need to keep pushing to find any extra edge I can.

“The car has been strong at every race so far and I’m sure it’ll be the same in Monaco, so we should be set for an entertaining weekend.”

Given Mercedes’ dominance of the season so far, it is hard to bet against the team winning once again at a track it traditionally excels around. Hamilton and Rosberg have amassed 197 of 215 possible points so far this season, but they are separated by just three in the drivers’ championship, meaning that once again we could be set for an enthralling battle between the Silver Arrows.

Dutch Grand Prix becomes fourth Formula 1 race canceled this season

EM VAN DER WAL/ANP/AFP via Getty Images
Leave a comment

ZANDVOORT, Netherlands — The Dutch Grand Prix became the fourth Formula One race canceled this season because of the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic, after organizers decided Thursday they didn’t want to play host to an event without spectators.

It was to be the first Dutch GP since 1985, but F1 wants to start the season with no spectators at races.

“We would like to celebrate this moment, the return of Formula 1 in Zandvoort, together with our racing fans in the Netherlands,” race director Jan Lammers said in a statement. “We ask everyone to be patient. I had to look forward to it for 35 years, so I can wait another year.”

The race in Zandvoort was set for May 3 and initially postponed. Fans who bought tickets can use them next year.

The coastal circuit has been redesigned, with some corners banked to facilitate faster racing.

The other races canceled this year were the season-opening Australian GP on March 15; the Monaco GP on May 24; and the French GP on June 28.

Another six have been postponed.

F1 organizers still hope to reschedule those and hold 15 to 18 races this season, starting in July with back-to-back races at the Austrian GP.