Sutil targeting first points of 2014 in Monaco

Leave a comment

Adrian Sutil has set his sights on scoring points for the first time in 2014 at next weekend’s Monaco Grand Prix.

The German driver moved to Sauber at the end of last season, and has since failed to finish inside the top ten. The team has encountered a number of problems with the C33 car, including a weight problem for the first four races.

For the Spanish Grand Prix, a significant upgrade package was promised that would alleviate much of these problems and bring the team back to form. However, Sutil and teammate Esteban Gutierrez were anonymous once again, finishing down in 16th and 17th place.

Nevertheless, Sutil is confident that he can break this duck at Monaco, one of his favorite circuits.

“The Monaco Grand Prix is a very nice event every year,” he said. “I really like the track. For us, the most important aspect will be that our car works well and we can achieve a good performance.

“My objective is to travel back home with some points in my pocket. Looking back, I have good memories from the races in Monte Carlo as I collected some points almost every year.”

Indeed, Sutil has scored points on each of his last three visits to the Mediterranean principality, making it one of his most successful circuits.

“Last year it was an exciting race for me which I finished in fifth position,” he said. “It is always a special grand prix, and I am looking forward to it.”

The 2013 race saw Sutil produce some fine overtaking manoeuvres that ordinarily are not possible around the tight and twisting streets of Monte Carlo.

He also impressed at Monaco back in 2008 when Force India was a backmarker team. In wet conditions, he had battled his way up to fourth place, and looked set to claim a famous result until Kimi Raikkonen ran into the back of his car at the Nouvelle Chicane.

Adrian will be hoping that he can re-find some of this form to finally get Sauber on the scoreboard in 2014 next weekend.

Here’s who were picking to win the Indy 500 — who are YOU picking?

IndyCar
Leave a comment

Several members of the NBC Sports motorsports staff have made their predictions on who will win Sunday’s 102nd Running of the Indianapolis 500.

Of the six voters, two are going with 2017 Verizon IndyCar Series champ Josef Newgarden, while two others are going with Helio Castroneves to win a fourth 500, which would tie him with A.J. Foyt, Al Unser and Rick Mears.

Here’s our picks. Who are YOU picking?

Leigh Diffey: Helio Castroneves — He drives the place better than anyone else. For me (for what its worth) he deserves a fourth 500 ring for the frustration he went through never getting the IndyCar title!

Townsend Bell: Josef Newgarden

Nate Ryan: Simon Pagenaud — All of his 2018 misfortune on the track has disappeared in May, and it culminates in the biggest victory of his career.

Jerry Bonkowski: Helio Castroneves – There’s no pressure as he pursues his fourth Indy 500 win. All Helio has to do, as late NFL owner Al Davis would say, is “Just win, baby!” (But if Helio falls short, watch for Marco Andretti)

Kyle Lavigne: Josef Newgarden — I think he has everything he needs to get it done this year.

Dan Beaver: Robert Wickens – Has driven like anything except a rookie and his second-place finish at Phoenix proves he’s just as good on an oval as the road courses.

Follow: Jerry Bonkowski