Sauber’s nightmare start to 2014 hits a new low

3 Comments

Sauber F1 Team’s disastrous start to the 2014 Formula 1 season hit a new low today during qualifying for the Monaco Grand Prix, as Esteban Gutierrez and Adrian Sutil were both knocked out in Q1.

The Swiss team has failed to score any points so far this season, and has rarely looked capable of doing so. Neither Gutierrez nor Sutil have been overly impressive, or looked to make the best of a bad situation, and today in Monaco they were unceremoniously dumped out during qualifying at the first time of asking.

Both drivers found themselves in the drop zone after Daniil Kvyat moved up into 16th place with his belated timed lap following a spin, yet they only needed to find one-tenth of a second. However, when Felipe Massa and Marcus Ericsson came together at Mirabeau with one minute left on the clock in Q1, it stopped the cars behind from improving their times thanks to the yellow flags.

As a result, both Gutierrez and Sutil finished one-tenth of a second behind Kvyat, and dropped out in Q1.

Although Sauber has been struggling so far this season, it has rarely looked so hapless as it did today. Barring a race of attrition, it is hard to see the Swiss team from finishing in the top ten any time soon.

In fact, Gutierrez and Sutil might have to keep an eye on the drivers behind them. Marussia’s Jules Bianchi finished six-tenths of a second down on Sutil in P19, but he told NBCSN after qualifying that he was confident he could stick with Saubers during the race tomorrow.

This result will only increase the pressure on both Gutierrez and Sutil, whose seats are already under threat for 2015. Sergey Sirotkin, Giedo van der Garde and Simona de Silvestro all have thrown their hat into the ring for a place with Sauber, and going on recent form, there’s a strong argument for completely replacing the driver line-up.

Andretti United team names drivers for inaugural Extreme E season

Extreme E drivers Andretti
Extreme E
Leave a comment

The Extreme E team formed by Andretti Autosport and United Autosports named Catie Munnings and Timmy Hansen as its drivers Monday for the series’ inaugural 2021 season.

Munnings is a successful veteran of rally series. Hansen is a past winner and champion in the World Rallycross Championship.

They both will race in the environmentally conscious electric SUV series that will hold events in five areas around the world that are threatened by climate change. Chip Ganassi Racing and six-time Formula One champion Lewis Hamilton also are fielding cars in Extreme E, which will feature male and female co-drivers on every team.

Catie Munnings

“I’m so excited to join Andretti United Extreme E,” Munnings said in a release. ““I was really intrigued when I first heard about Extreme E, I just knew I had to be involved. The male / female racing partnership is a fantastic and exciting new concept. The season has incredible locations and the racing will be very exciting. It will be a new challenge for the teams and drivers, and I’m so thrilled to be working with such a strong team.

“The championship is a really innovative concept, it’s combining motorsport and science and will produce an important legacy in each race location. Bringing the platform that motorsport has in line with the awareness that the planet needs right now is awesome and a really important message.”

Timmy Hansen

Said Hansen: “Going into the Extreme E will be a new chapter in my career, one that I am extremely excited about. It is something brand new, not only for me, but the whole of motorsport. The format is something

we’ve never seen before. I’m also delighted to be able to carry the message of something bigger – talking about the environment and doing something good for the world – that’s something that really drives me. It’s going to be a big adventure in life to see these locations and I’m going to do my best in carrying this responsibility and hopefully making people aware of the challenges we have in the world, together with our passion for racing.”