Reports: Caterham F1 Team up for sale

2 Comments

Reports in the Malaysian media have emerged suggesting that Caterham F1 Team owner Tony Fernandes has put the team up for sale along with the Caterham Cars company.

Fernandes, who also owns the airline company AirAsia and English soccer club Queens Park Rangers, entered Formula 1 with Caterham – then known as Lotus Racing – at the beginning of 2010.

However, since then, no points have been scored, with a best result of 11th place coming at the 2012 Brazilian Grand Prix. So far in 2014, Kamui Kobayashi and Marcus Ericsson have trailed behind nearest rivals Marussia in the battle for 10th place in the constructors’ championship, which brings with it serious financial benefits.

Earlier this year, Fernandes said that if the team did not start to move up the grid in 2014, he would look to sell the outfit. “If we’re at the back I don’t think I’m going to carry on,” he explained. “Nothing is set in stone but after five years with no points there is a limit to one’s patience, money, motivation, etc, so it’s an important year.”

Now, according to business publication The Edge Malaysia, he has made the first step towards selling the Caterham brand.

Fernandes has reportedly put Caterham F1 Team and Caterham Cars Ltd. – the sports car division of the brand – up for sale for a combined price of $589m.

Quite what this would mean for the team and its staff is unclear. A number of brands have expressed an interest in entering Formula 1, with Honda thought to be considering a support team for McLaren, whom it will power in 2015.

Another potential buyer could be NASCAR team owner Gene Haas. The American has gained a berth for Haas Formula on the F1 grid for 2015 or 2016, and although he has underlined his desire to start a team from scratch, another option could be buying an existing operation and its facilities.

However, the involvement of Caterham Cars in the sale could make him think twice about this. Also, it could make possible relationships with Ferrari and Dallara, two Italian companies, more difficult given that the team is run from Leafield in England.

The team is yet to comment on these rumors. For today’s Monaco Grand Prix, Kamui Kobayashi will start from P20 on the grid, and Marcus Ericsson will start from the pit lane after being penalized by the stewards.

IndyCar teams with NASCAR on IMS road course doubleheader in 2021

IndyCar NASCAR doubleheader 2021
Jamie Squire/Getty Images
Leave a comment

The NTT IndyCar Series will be sharing Indianapolis Motor Speedway with the NASCAR Cup Series in a race weekend doubleheader for the second consecutive season, but both series will be on the road course in August 2021.

IMS announced Wednesday that IndyCar will hold an Aug. 14, 2021 race on its 14-turn, 2.439-mile road course. It’ll be a day before NASCAR’s premier series runs the same layout for the first time after the Brickyard 400 was contested on the 2.5-mile oval for the first time in 27 years.

This season’s rescheduling of the IndyCar GMR Grand Prix to July 4, 2019 (a day before the Brickyard 400) led to the first NASCAR-IndyCar doubleheader weekend. The Xfinity Series also raced on the IMS road course for the first time July 4 after the IndyCar race ended.

INDYCAR AT IMS THIS WEEKEND: Harvest GP schedule, entry lists

IndyCar will be holding its second race weekend this year at the IMS road course Friday and Saturday with the Harvest GP.

“Our first NASCAR-INDYCAR weekend was a big success last July, with positive feedback from
our loyal fans who watched the races on NBC and from the drivers, teams and participants
involved,” IMS president Douglas Boles said in a statement. “The Xfinity Series’ debut on the IMS road course provided exactly the kind of thrilling action from the green to checkered flags that we anticipated, so we know the teams and drivers of the Cup Series will put on a great show as they turn left and right for the first time at IMS.

“We can’t wait to welcome back fans to see NASCAR and INDYCAR together during this
exciting weekend as we add another memorable chapter in the long, storied history of the
Indianapolis Motor Speedway.”

It also will mark the first NASCAR Cup-IndyCar doubleheader with a crowd as fans weren’t permitted at IMS in July because of the novel coronvavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.

Over the course of Wednesday, NASCAR is releasing its 36-race slate for next season. IndyCar has yet to release its full 2021 schedule.