Honda not planning to buy into McLaren

0 Comments

McLaren has publicly denied rumors suggesting that Honda could be set to buy a part of the team in the near future.

Honda is set to return to Formula 1 in 2015 after seven years away as a power unit supplier. For the first year, it will exclusively power McLaren, rekindling their partnership from the late 1980s when Ayrton Senna and Alain Prost dominated the sport.

However, speculation over the Monaco Grand Prix weekend suggested that the Japanese marque could go one step further and buy a part of the team. In order to put an end to this paddock chatter, McLaren released a statement earlier this week:

“Contrary to recent media reports, Honda has informed us it has no intention to buy into McLaren. All of Honda’s focus is on the development of its new Formula 1 power unit.”

Quite clearly, there is little desire from Honda to be anything more than a power unit supplier at McLaren, but speculation concerning new backers at the British team will continue to circulate, given that it is running in 2014 without a title sponsor.

Honda is expected to extend its power unit supply for its second year (2016), and is also rumored to be interested in buying a team further down the grid to support McLaren, much like Toro Rosso does for Red Bull.

Whatever the nature of the relationship, it will bring back some fond memories of Senna and Prost going wheel-to-wheel in the red and white McLarens when Honda returns next year.

Ken Roczen signs with HEP Progressive Ecstar Suzuki for 2023

Roczen Progressive Ecstar Suzuki
Align Media
0 Comments

ANAHEIM, California – Ken Roczen will make the move from HRC Honda to H.E.P. Motorsports with the Progressive Ecstar Suzuki team, ending a long and eventful offseason that saw his split from his longstanding team after he committed to running World Supercross (WSX).

“H.E.P. Motorsports is thrilled to announce that the team has signed Ken Roczen as its premier rider for the 2023 season,” the team announced on Instagram. “Former AMA Motocross champion Roczen will be aboard a Suzuki RM-Z450. Roczen, who won his most recent championship on a Suzuki, will be reunited with the brand and bring his exciting style, determination, and grit back to the RM Army.

“Ken Roczen will compete in the upcoming 2023 Supercross and Motocross Championship series which is set to start on January 7 at Anaheim Stadium in Southern California.”

For Roczen, it is a return to the bike of his youth and on which he had some of his greatest professional success.

“This thing has been going on for weeks and weeks and weeks in the making, but there was so much uncertainty,” Roczen told NBC Sports during Monster Energy Supercross Media Sessions. “It was a very unique situation. I just finally signed two nights ago, so it’s really only legit once the ink hits the paper. It’s been in the works for a long time, but there were just a lot of questions and a lot of input from a lot of other teams too.

“Good things take time, and I’m okay with that. I grew up riding Suzuki. Ot’s like a homecoming. It’s a special feeling”

Roczen won the 2016 Lucas Oil Pro Motocross Championship on a Suzuki before making the move to Honda. That year he won nine of 12 Nationals and finished no worse than second as he easily outpaced Eli Tomac by 86 points. He finished third in his next Pro Motocross outing in 2018 after sitting out the outdoor season in 2017.

“I am beyond excited to reconnect with Suzuki for the 3rd time in my career. We’ve had a lot of success in the past and I’m looking forward to seeing what we can accomplish together in our future.” Roczen said in the Instagram post.