Alexander Rossi ready for FP1 duty in Canada for Caterham

1 Comment

Formula One is heading toward its first of two North American stops this season with the Canadian Grand Prix, and that means it’s almost time for American driver and Caterham reserve Alexander Rossi to suit up.

Back in April, Caterham confirmed that Rossi, the only American with a FIA superlicense, would run for the team in FP1 at both this weekend’s race in Montreal and again in the fall at the United States Grand Prix in Austin, Texas.

Rossi has been diligently preparing with lots of simulator work and hopes that it will help him as he steps into the cockpit of the real-life, Renault-powered CT05 at Circuit Gilles Villeneuve.

“FP1 in Montreal will be my first drive of the year in the 2014 F1 car, but after the amount of laps I’ve done in the sim with the CT05, I’m already pretty familiar with how it’ll be inside the cockpit,” he said in a team release.

“Obviously, it’s not quite the same as actually being out on track, but I have a lot of F1 mileage under my belt with the various FP1s and test days I’ve completed and having driven in FP1 in Canada last year, I know I can go straight to work and help the team complete its plan for the session.

The 22-year-old has already had some FP1 experience with Caterham. In 2012, he drove Heikki Kovalainen’s car in FP1 at Barcelona, and in last year’s Canadian round, he did the same in Charles Pic’s car.

As you’d expect, Rossi is grateful to have another opportunity to drive an F1 machine.

“The chances for young drivers like me to be in current-season cars on track are very limited, and obviously every lap counts over a race weekend,” he said.

“But the fact the team sees that I can add value from the work I do in the car, and they can keep helping me to learn, shows great support and how committed they are to developing young talent.”

Last year in Montreal, Rossi had to deal with wet conditions that limited his practice time on the track. This year, he’s hopeful to have more cooperative weather and more laps – but is ready to deal with rain again if need be.

“The weather should hopefully be dry, so if that stays true we should have a full session run and be out as the green lights come on,” he said.

“If it rains, then so be it. I’ll still be focused 100 percent on the job the team asks me to do.”

IndyCar teams with NASCAR on IMS road course doubleheader in 2021

IndyCar NASCAR doubleheader 2021
Jamie Squire/Getty Images
Leave a comment

The NTT IndyCar Series will be sharing Indianapolis Motor Speedway with the NASCAR Cup Series in a race weekend doubleheader for the second consecutive season, but both series will be on the road course in August 2021.

IMS announced Wednesday that IndyCar will hold an Aug. 14, 2021 race on its 14-turn, 2.439-mile road course. It’ll be a day before NASCAR’s premier series runs the same layout for the first time after the Brickyard 400 was contested on the 2.5-mile oval for the first time in 27 years.

This season’s rescheduling of the IndyCar GMR Grand Prix to July 4, 2019 (a day before the Brickyard 400) led to the first NASCAR-IndyCar doubleheader weekend. The Xfinity Series also raced on the IMS road course for the first time July 4 after the IndyCar race ended.

INDYCAR AT IMS THIS WEEKEND: Harvest GP schedule, entry lists

IndyCar will be holding its second race weekend this year at the IMS road course Friday and Saturday with the Harvest GP.

“Our first NASCAR-INDYCAR weekend was a big success last July, with positive feedback from
our loyal fans who watched the races on NBC and from the drivers, teams and participants
involved,” IMS president Douglas Boles said in a statement. “The Xfinity Series’ debut on the IMS road course provided exactly the kind of thrilling action from the green to checkered flags that we anticipated, so we know the teams and drivers of the Cup Series will put on a great show as they turn left and right for the first time at IMS.

“We can’t wait to welcome back fans to see NASCAR and INDYCAR together during this
exciting weekend as we add another memorable chapter in the long, storied history of the
Indianapolis Motor Speedway.”

It also will mark the first NASCAR Cup-IndyCar doubleheader with a crowd as fans weren’t permitted at IMS in July because of the novel coronvavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.

Over the course of Wednesday, NASCAR is releasing its 36-race slate for next season. IndyCar has yet to release its full 2021 schedule.