GRC Lites kick off this weekend alongside Red Bull GRC counterparts

Leave a comment

The emerging Red Bull Global Rallycross series, like any top-level championship, is always looking for its next batch of stars. With the all-spec GRC Lites development division making its first start of the year this weekend at the X Games in Austin, it will provide a first look at 10 potential (well, nine) new drivers who have the potential to move up at year’s end.

Nelson Piquet Jr. will run both in Red Bull GRC and GRC Lites, while the rest of the field looks to advance.

We outlined the Red Bull GRC field ahead of its opener in Barbados three weeks ago. Now here’s a quick primer on the GRC Lites field:

  • DTV Solutions: 6-Geoff Sykes, was P6 in championship last season
  • Piquet Sports: 07-Nelson Piquet Jr., will run both Red Bull GRC and GRC Lites
  • Olsbergs MSE: 24-Mitchell DeJong, just 16, finished P3 in championship last season; 51-Atila Abreu, will run 7/9 rounds; 96-Kevin Eriksson, was P4 in championship last year
  • Cohesive Front Racing: 27-Mark McKenzie, 88-Harry Cheung; pair of Ferrari Challenge veterans
  • Rhys Millen Racing: 60-Tyler Benson, running under tutelage of off-road veteran
  • C4 Motorsports: 77-Austin Cindric, 15, Tim’s son, USF2000 racer; 79-Blake Fuller, Braille Battery founder, racing veteran
  • AD Racing: 98-Colton Herta, 14, Bryan’s son, USF2000 racer, will become youngest driver in series history
  • Olsbergs MSE/AF Racing 126: 126-Alejandro Fernandez, karting veteran, Buddy Rice protege

And here is an Instagram photo posted of all 10 cars on hand in Austin this weekend:

Fernando Alonso will decide this summer whether to pursue F1 again

Leave a comment

Fernando Alonso said he will determine by this summer if he would consider a return to Formula One next season.

After announcing Tuesday that he will return to Indianapolis Motor Speedway in May with Arrow McLaren Racing SP, Alonso said “right now the Indy 500 will take all of my concentration” but left the door open for F1 in 2021.

“In my case, probably during the summer period, I’ll make a decision on 2021 if Formula One is still appealing to me,” Alonso told IndyCar on NBC announcer Leigh Diffey in an interview (watch the video above). “The 2021 rules (in F1) are definitely a step forward, and hopefully things can be more mixed and not only three teams capable of winning races. So all this factors into play. I may consider that possibility.”

Alonso won consecutive Formula One championships in 2005-06 with Renault. He has 32 victories in an F1 career that started in 2001 and also includes stints at Ferrari and McLaren.

His last victory on the circuit was May 12, 2013 in Barcelona. He is winless in his most recent 110 starts, including the past 77 races with McLaren in 2015-18.

The Guardian recently reported that McLaren CEO Zak Brown said Alonso wouldn’t be returning to F1 with the team.

Alonso also told Diffey that returning to F1 from a two-season absence wouldn’t necessarily be linked to McLaren’s performance.

“I think they did well last year, and hopefully they make another step forward and close to the top three because they deserve it and are a fantastic team,” he said.

Though he is optimistic about more parity, Alonso said six-time champion Lewis Hamilton should be a favorite for the 2020 title based on preseason testing in which Mercedes turned heads with a new steering system.

“It seemed Mercedes is still quite competitive,” Alonso said. “They show enormous potential on the development side and on the progress from one year to next. Formula One is impossible to predict because many things happen in season.

“At the starting point, (Mercedes) are the favorites. When you have Lewis in the car and Mercedes with the potential they have, they have to be No. 1 probably.”