Renault still having problems in Canada

0 Comments

Renault has held its hands up and admitted that the big gains which it expected to make at this weekend’s Canadian Grand Prix have not come about, meaning that the teams that it powers may again struggle in qualifying and the race.

So far this season, Renault’s power units have been down on power compared to those made by Mercedes and Ferrari. In winter testing, its teams – Red Bull, Toro Rosso, Caterham and Lotus – struggled immensely, and have since been trying to claw back the deficit.

Ahead of this weekend’s race, head of track operations Remi Taffin was confident that it would be “the first full opportunity to see where we are versus the competition”. However, when we spoke to Pastor Maldonado yesterday, he claimed that he was still losing as much as 10km/h heading along the straights.

“Today was a difficult day as predicted,” Taffin explained following practice on Friday. “We knew that the long straights would give us some headaches since the long periods of full throttle and emphasis on top speed do not play to the strengths of our power unit.

“We still have a gap to the Mercedes in front and we can see by the times that we are struggling for overall performance in this low downforce configuration.”

However, Taffin believes that Renault could make up some of the time to Mercedes through energy recovery and fuel saving, which will be crucial to succeeding at the Circuit Gilles Villeneuve on Sunday.

“We have however been able to get a lot of information on fuel consumption,” he said. “The race may demand more than the 100kg permitted fuel limit so making the best use of the recovered energy will be important in the race. We think we’ve got a good handle on it and will look to maximize this area to reduce the gap to the cars in front on Sunday.”

Renault’s poor start has been one of the big stories of 2014 so far, and it has certainly been a headache for Red Bull. The defending world champions already look likely to lose the constructors’ crown to Mercedes, which will come as a bitter blow given that the RB10 car is certainly quick through the corners.

At Renault, the hope must be that the big step forwards comes when F1 returns to Europe in Austria at the end of the month.

NEOM McLaren Formula E announces Jake Hughes will join Rene Rast for 2023 season

McLaren Formula E Hughes
McLaren Racing
0 Comments

Doubling down on their commitment to electric auto sports, McLaren Racing announced Jake Hughes will join Rene Rast to compete in the 2023 Formula E Series (FE), which completes their driver lineup.

The NEOM McLaren FE team was formed by the acquisition of the Mercedes-EQ Formula E team that won the 2021 and 2022 championships with Stoffel Vandoorne and Nyck de Vries behind the wheel.

“Today’s announcement feels like a long time coming,” said Ian James, managing director of NEOM McLaren Electric Racing in a release. “Since May this year, when we first announced McLaren Racing’s entry into Formula E, we have been working tirelessly to get in place the best possible team and structure for sustainable success.

“On the one hand, we have been working on the retention of the amazing talent that already was in place before going into the transitional phase. I’m proud to say I think we’ve done a great job on that front.

“On the other hand, we have been focusing on putting in place new processes and new talent – and the latter includes the drivers.”

The driver lineup clasps the two hands together.

Hughes brings 10 years racing experience in single seater cars, including a role with the acquired Mercedes-EQ team as a reserve and development driver for the past two seasons. He is the 2013 BRDC Formula 4 champion and has multiple wins in Formula 2, including two in 2020.

 

Announced in August, Rast joins the team after earning two podium finishes and six top-fives in 22 career Formula E starts for Audi Sport ABT before returning to the DTM Series last year. Rast’s best finish in Formula E came in the Puebla E Prix when he finished second to teammate Lucas di Grassi by less than a half second.

McLaren’s commitment to Formula E comes one year after they entered the Extreme E rally series in 2022 with Tanner Foust and Emma Gilmour in the driver lineup. After a modest start to the season, the McLaren XE drivers crossed the finish line first in Round 4 in Chile, but were assessed a time penalty that dropped them to fifth. Last week in the season finale in Uruguay, they held onto a hard-earned second place finish.