Vergne enjoys one of the best races of his career

1 Comment

Jean-Eric Vergne may have only finished yesterday’s Canadian Grand Prix in eighth place, but the Frenchman believes that it is one of the best performances of his Formula 1 career.

Vergne started the race in eighth place, and made a good start to jump ahead of Ferrari’s Fernando Alonso off the line. He eventually dropped back, and was fortunate to benefit from a crash between Sergio Perez and Felipe Massa late on to make up two positions and eventually cross the line in P8 for four points.

“I’m extremely happy as I feel I gave my best today,” Vergne explained after the race. “It was a good race, maybe the best of my F1 career so far, not in terms of results but I think everything went perfect and we finally scored some points.

“I was able to gain a position on Alonso after a good start and I could keep Magnussen behind later on, managing well what was a difficult race. The team did a great job all weekend, where we worked really well to put together the best possible car.

“We are now waiting for more updates to come at the Austrian Grand Prix and I’m confident we will improve the speed and bring home even better results.”

Vergne is thought to be under pressure to keep his seat at Toro Rosso, given that Red Bull junior driver Carlos Sainz Jr. is putting in some incredibly impressive performances in the Formula Renault 3.5 series. However, he said on Saturday that he did not feel under pressure, and this good result on race day in Montreal will undoubtedly have filled the team with confidence in his ability.

His teammate, Daniil Kvyat, was less fortunate, suffering a transmission failure during the race that forced him to park up and retire with 13 laps remaining.

Ken Roczen signs with HEP Progressive Ecstar Suzuki for 2023

Roczen Progressive Ecstar Suzuki
Align Media
0 Comments

ANAHEIM, California – Ken Roczen will make the move from HRC Honda to H.E.P. Motorsports with the Progressive Ecstar Suzuki team, ending a long and eventful offseason that saw his split from his longstanding team after he committed to running World Supercross (WSX).

“H.E.P. Motorsports is thrilled to announce that the team has signed Ken Roczen as its premier rider for the 2023 season,” the team announced on Instagram. “Former AMA Motocross champion Roczen will be aboard a Suzuki RM-Z450. Roczen, who won his most recent championship on a Suzuki, will be reunited with the brand and bring his exciting style, determination, and grit back to the RM Army.

“Ken Roczen will compete in the upcoming 2023 Supercross and Motocross Championship series which is set to start on January 7 at Anaheim Stadium in Southern California.”

For Roczen, it is a return to the bike of his youth and on which he had some of his greatest professional success.

“This thing has been going on for weeks and weeks and weeks in the making, but there was so much uncertainty,” Roczen told NBC Sports during Monster Energy Supercross Media Sessions. “It was a very unique situation. I just finally signed two nights ago, so it’s really only legit once the ink hits the paper. It’s been in the works for a long time, but there were just a lot of questions and a lot of input from a lot of other teams too.

“Good things take time, and I’m okay with that. I grew up riding Suzuki. Ot’s like a homecoming. It’s a special feeling”

Roczen won the 2016 Lucas Oil Pro Motocross Championship on a Suzuki before making the move to Honda. That year he won nine of 12 Nationals and finished no worse than second as he easily outpaced Eli Tomac by 86 points. He finished third in his next Pro Motocross outing in 2018 after sitting out the outdoor season in 2017.

“I am beyond excited to reconnect with Suzuki for the 3rd time in my career. We’ve had a lot of success in the past and I’m looking forward to seeing what we can accomplish together in our future.” Roczen said in the Instagram post.