Danica says Haas hasn’t asked her about possible F1 ride

13 Comments

NASCAR team owner Gene Haas has said that Danica Patrick would be a “dream driver” for his fledgling F1 franchise, Haas Formula.

But according to Patrick herself, neither Haas or anyone else has approached her about such an opportunity.

“I agree that anything is possible, but nobody has said anything to me,” she said in an interview with the Toronto Sun. “I am happy where I am at right now as far as racing goes.

“I am just starting to get the hang of Sprint Cup racing.”

Patrick, a former Verizon IndyCar Series racer that’s in her second full season of big-league stock car racing, added that while she would “certainly listen” to such an offer from her boss, “I am almost getting too old [32] to start a third career.”

Haas had initially downplayed the possibility of Patrick jumping from his NASCAR side to his F1 side during an interview with NBCSN at last weekend’s Canadian Grand Prix in Montreal.

But in an interview with F1’s official website, Haas said that “she surely fits the bill” for being in F1 and would “attract a lot of attention.”

However, Patrick sounds like she knows that she would be better off continuing to learn the ins and outs of NASCAR.

“I think I just understand the commitment that is required to be successful at the Cup level now both on and off the track,” she said to the Sun. “Like being in the race shop, knowing what’s going on with the team at all times and being involved throughout all of it.”

“I feel the team is building better race cars and I think I am feeling the car better…That helps me relay better information to help make changes and send the car in the right direction.”

Some positive signs have been shown by Patrick, including a seventh-place finish last month at the 1.5-mile Kansas Speedway – her best-ever result in Sprint Cup.

Ken Roczen signs with HEP Progressive Ecstar Suzuki for 2023

Roczen Progressive Ecstar Suzuki
Align Media
0 Comments

ANAHEIM, California – Ken Roczen will make the move from HRC Honda to H.E.P. Motorsports with the Progressive Ecstar Suzuki team, ending a long and eventful offseason that saw his split from his longstanding team after he committed to running World Supercross (WSX).

“H.E.P. Motorsports is thrilled to announce that the team has signed Ken Roczen as its premier rider for the 2023 season,” the team announced on Instagram. “Former AMA Motocross champion Roczen will be aboard a Suzuki RM-Z450. Roczen, who won his most recent championship on a Suzuki, will be reunited with the brand and bring his exciting style, determination, and grit back to the RM Army.

“Ken Roczen will compete in the upcoming 2023 Supercross and Motocross Championship series which is set to start on January 7 at Anaheim Stadium in Southern California.”

For Roczen, it is a return to the bike of his youth and on which he had some of his greatest professional success.

“This thing has been going on for weeks and weeks and weeks in the making, but there was so much uncertainty,” Roczen told NBC Sports during Monster Energy Supercross Media Sessions. “It was a very unique situation. I just finally signed two nights ago, so it’s really only legit once the ink hits the paper. It’s been in the works for a long time, but there were just a lot of questions and a lot of input from a lot of other teams too.

“Good things take time, and I’m okay with that. I grew up riding Suzuki. Ot’s like a homecoming. It’s a special feeling”

Roczen won the 2016 Lucas Oil Pro Motocross Championship on a Suzuki before making the move to Honda. That year he won nine of 12 Nationals and finished no worse than second as he easily outpaced Eli Tomac by 86 points. He finished third in his next Pro Motocross outing in 2018 after sitting out the outdoor season in 2017.

“I am beyond excited to reconnect with Suzuki for the 3rd time in my career. We’ve had a lot of success in the past and I’m looking forward to seeing what we can accomplish together in our future.” Roczen said in the Instagram post.