Lotus refuses to comment as rumors of switch to Mercedes power swirl

3 Comments

So far, Mercedes has three teams slated to use their V-6 engines in 2015. If you believe the current rumors, there will soon be a fourth team in their stable.

Over the last couple of weeks, multiple reports from entities such as noted F1 scribes Adam Cooper and Joe Saward, as well as Germany’s Auto Motor und Sport, have touched on rumblings that Lotus will replace McLaren as that fourth Mercedes-powered team next year.

This morning, a spokesman for Lotus – which is currently powered by Renault – refused to comment on the rumors according to Britain’s Sky Sports.

The team has regressed badly this year after finishing fourth in the Constructors’ in 2013 despite well-documented financial issues. A lot of the blame for their current decline can go to its Renault power unit, which has failed to keep up with the Mercedes-powered entries.

Regardless of whether these Lotus-Mercedes rumors are true or not, they can’t make Renault’s job any easier at the moment as they continue to sustain criticism for their efforts – particularly from their top client, four-time defending World Champions Red Bull.

Team principal Christian Horner has declared Renault’s contribution “unacceptable” and more recently, driver Daniel Ricciardo admitted that their engine situation has been a source of frustration.

“Don’t get me wrong, it is frustrating because it is hard because a lot of it happens on the straight and there is no skill required on the straight,” Ricciardo said to reporters. “So it is throwing talent away for nothing.

“Don’t get me wrong, anyone can hop in the car and if you are not scared to go 300 kilometers an hour, you can easily go flat out on the straight – so it is giving away time for nothing, which is the frustrating part.

“I guess from [Red Bull’s] side, they spent time, hours, money, on designing a fast car through the corners yet it just gets washed away on the straights so that is the frustrating part, but it is what it is.”

Valtteri Bottas on Silverstone pole; Nico Hulkenberg a surprising third

F1 Bottas Hamilton Silverstone
Rudy Carezzevoli/Getty Images
Leave a comment

Valtteri Bottas nipped Mercedes teammate Lewis Hamilton in Silverstone qualifying Saturday to maintain the team’s hammerlock on F1 results this season while Nico Hulkenberg was a surprise in third.

Hulkenberg is filling in for Sergio Perez for the second consecutive race while the Racing Point driver recovers from coronavirus.

It’s the best F1 start since 2016 for Hulkenberg, who was left without a full-time ride after the 2019 season. He finished 20th at Silverstone last week when an engine problem on the grid prevented him ftaking the green.

FERNANDO IS HERE: Alonso arrives for Indy 500

“The last seven to eight days have been crazy,” Hulkenberg said after qualifying. “This weekend I felt much better prepared. Q3 was just head down, full beans, and give it whatever I had.

“I’m a bit surprised to be standing here, but there’s a big smile on my face.”

Red Bull’s Max Verstappen qualified fourth and will be among the field trying to derail the Mercedes duo that has won the first four races of an F1 season delayed because of the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.

“Feels good,” Bottas said after nipping Hamilton by a few hundredths of a second on his final lap for his 13th career pole position. ” I just love qualifying especially, when it goes well. Proud to drive this car. The race pace is there, so our first job is to get a good start off the line tomorrow and go from there.”

The impressive lap came two days after Bottas, who won the season opener in Austria, announced a one-year contract extension with the team.

Mercedes also is set to begin negotiating a new deal with Hamilton, who has won the past three races in F1 but was disappointed Saturday.

“Valtteri did a great job, but for me, it wasn’t a perfect last lap,” he said. “I don’t think many teams will be doing a one-stop race tomorrow so let’s wait and see how things turn out.”