Caterham F1 sale officially confirmed

3 Comments

Following a couple weeks of speculation, the sale of the Caterham F1 Team has been confirmed on Wednesday. The team’s base in Leafield and name of Caterham F1 Team will stay for what the team termed “the foreseeable future.”

Colin Kolles is back in the game and will head up the group of Swiss and Middle Eastern investors, taking over from Tony Fernandes and his partners at the top of the organization. According to veteran F1 scribe Adam Cooper, Kolles will be a Caterham consultant.

Kolles’ F1 history includes stints with the team now known as Force India, previously known as Jordan, Midland, MF1 and Spyker. He also was involved with the HRT team during its stint.

Additionally, former Minardi Formula One driver Christijan Albers and Manfredi Ravetto will take over day-to-day operations of the race team.

Said Albers in a statement, “We are aware of the huge challenge ahead of us given the fight at the bottom end of the Championship and our target now is to aim for tenth place in the 2014 Championship. We are very committed to the future of the team and we will ensure that the team has the necessary resources to develop and grow and achieve everything it is capable of.”

Albers and Kolles have been linked for several years both in F1 and in sports car racing. Albers drove for Spyker in 2007, when Kolles was the team principal. Once Kolles moved to Le Mans, the Dutchman raced an Audi R10 TDI in Le Mans.

Albers is also set to drive the Lotus P1/01 AER in the FIA World Endurance Championship for several races later this year (the Lotus is not affiliated with Caterham, because the Caterham/Lotus/Lotus history is already confusing enough as it is). Kolles had been involved in a Lotus LMP2 project last year.

Meanwhile, Cyril Abiteboul has left the team to pursue other opportunities.

No mention was made of changing the team’s driver lineup, with Kamui Kobayashi and Marcus Ericsson competing this year and a deep pipeline of test drivers that include Alexander Rossi, Rio Haryanto and Will Stevens, with the latter two scheduled to test in Silverstone next week.

Ken Roczen signs with HEP Progressive Ecstar Suzuki for 2023

Roczen Progressive Ecstar Suzuki
Align Media
0 Comments

ANAHEIM, California – Ken Roczen will make the move from HRC Honda to H.E.P. Motorsports with the Progressive Ecstar Suzuki team, ending a long and eventful offseason that saw his split from his longstanding team after he committed to running World Supercross (WSX).

“H.E.P. Motorsports is thrilled to announce that the team has signed Ken Roczen as its premier rider for the 2023 season,” the team announced on Instagram. “Former AMA Motocross champion Roczen will be aboard a Suzuki RM-Z450. Roczen, who won his most recent championship on a Suzuki, will be reunited with the brand and bring his exciting style, determination, and grit back to the RM Army.

“Ken Roczen will compete in the upcoming 2023 Supercross and Motocross Championship series which is set to start on January 7 at Anaheim Stadium in Southern California.”

For Roczen, it is a return to the bike of his youth and on which he had some of his greatest professional success.

“This thing has been going on for weeks and weeks and weeks in the making, but there was so much uncertainty,” Roczen told NBC Sports during Monster Energy Supercross Media Sessions. “It was a very unique situation. I just finally signed two nights ago, so it’s really only legit once the ink hits the paper. It’s been in the works for a long time, but there were just a lot of questions and a lot of input from a lot of other teams too.

“Good things take time, and I’m okay with that. I grew up riding Suzuki. Ot’s like a homecoming. It’s a special feeling”

Roczen won the 2016 Lucas Oil Pro Motocross Championship on a Suzuki before making the move to Honda. That year he won nine of 12 Nationals and finished no worse than second as he easily outpaced Eli Tomac by 86 points. He finished third in his next Pro Motocross outing in 2018 after sitting out the outdoor season in 2017.

“I am beyond excited to reconnect with Suzuki for the 3rd time in my career. We’ve had a lot of success in the past and I’m looking forward to seeing what we can accomplish together in our future.” Roczen said in the Instagram post.