Caterham cleared to race, confirms Leal for Silverstone test

Leave a comment

The FIA stewards have cleared Kamui Kobayashi and Marcus Ericsson to take part in the British Grand Prix tomorrow despite neither driver posting a time within the required 107% limit.

In a rule brought back to F1 in 2011, drivers must lap within 107% of the time set by the fastest driver in Q1. It has only been used twice in the past four seasons, with HRT missing both the 2011 and 2012 Australian Grands Prix because of the rule.

In qualifying today, Kobayashi and Ericsson could only post a time that was around 109% of Rosberg’s, meaning that they failed to make the cut. However, this rule is only enforced when the drivers are too slow in the dry, and the wet session meant that the times were far from representative – as exemplified by Williams and Ferrari.

The stewards confirmed that the drivers had “set satisfactory times in practice at this event”, and both will be able to race on Sunday.

Caterham has also confirmed this evening that GP2 driver Julian Leal will take part in next week’s test session at the British Grand Prix alongside Rio Haryanto and Will Stevens.

“I am very excited about my first Formula 1 test and I would like to thank Caterham F1 Team and everyone who has helped make this opportunity possible,” the Colombian said. “I’m having a good weekend at Silverstone already and am now fifth in the GP2 Championship after a strong race on Saturday.

“As I’m racing on the same circuit this weekend as I’ll test on next week that’s obviously a benefit but there is clearly a big step up to F1 from GP2, particularly in terms of the infrastructure I will be working with on track.

“With that in mind my main goal is to learn as much as I possibly can and help the team work through the program they set – I know I will be given all the help and advice I need, now I just want to get started!”

Bob Fernley announced as president of McLaren IndyCar

Photo by Clive Mason/Getty Images
Leave a comment

Bob Fernley will bring his experience as former deputy team principal at Force India F1 to McLaren Racing’s IndyCar effort in 2019.

Fernley will report directly to McLaren Racing’s CEO Zak Brown.

“Heading back to the Brickyard will be a very special experience for me,” Fernley said at IndyCar.com. “I am proud to be leading this McLaren project and team. The 500 is a hell of a challenge and we have incredibly strong competitors to overcome if we’re to be successful. We will need to prepare well for the month of May and that work starts now.”

Fernley’s appointing come of the heels of last week’s announcement that McLaren will create a brand new team to compete in the 2019 Indy 500.

MORE: Fernando Alonso to return to Indy 500 in 2019

For now, Fernley’s responsibility is to create an entry that is capable of allowing two-time F1 champion Fernando Alonso to win the Indy 500 in just his second start. But speculation has been widespread that the entry will be a jumping off point for a much broader involvement in IndyCar.

In 2017, Alonso qualified on the middle of row two (fifth), led 27 laps and succumbed to mechanical failure. His effort was impressive enough to be name Rookie of the Year for the Indy 500.

“Bob is a fantastic operator and someone I respect greatly,” Brown said. “His experience and leadership will be essential for us on this project. He is particularly talented at putting effective teams together and extracting maximum performance with finite resources. The Indy 500 is no easy race and Bob’s is a key role, so I’m delighted he’s on board.”