Jack Hawksworth officially out of Pocono IndyCar 500 (UPDATED)

2 Comments

After crashing during Saturday’s second practice session, Verizon IndyCar Series rookie Jack Hawksworth will not compete in today’s Pocono IndyCar 500 at Pocono Raceway.

In a medical report released early this morning, INDYCAR disclosed that Hawksworth suffered a myocardial contusion in the wreck. After being evaluated by INDYCAR medical director Dr. Michael Olinger at Pocono, the British driver was transported to Lehigh Valley Health Network in Allentown, Pennsylvania, where he was kept overnight for observation.

Hawksworth, who drives the No. 98 Integrity Energee Drink Honda for Bryan Herta Autosport, was not cleared to race today and will be re-evaluated by INDYCAR’s medical team before being allowed to compete in next weekend’s Iowa Corn Indy 300 at Iowa Speedway.

Late this morning, Curt Cavin of the Indianapolis Star reported that the tub and gearbox of Hawksworth’s car broke in the crash, and that Hawksworth himself was still in the hospital:

Before INDYCAR’s release, multiple reporters, including Cavin and NBCSN’s Robin Miller for RACER Magazine, had said Saturday night that Hawksworth and BHA were withdrawing from today’s race.

Additionally, Williams Harfield Sports Group (Hawksworth’s management firm) confirmed a hospital visit for their client:

In his wreck, Hawksworth had the back end of his car come around on him in Turn 1 before he impacted the wall flush on the left side.

The British driver was checked, cleared and released from the infield care center after the crash, and IndyCar Radio reported at the time that he had only banged his knee inside the cockpit.

In an interview with IndyCar Radio, Hawksworth said he was confident that he’d be able to take part in qualifying later on Saturday if BHA repaired the car in time. But neither he or the No. 98 returned to the track for the rest of the day.

Marvin Musquin to miss entire 2020 Supercross season

Feld Entertainment Inc
Leave a comment

On Friday, Marvin Musquin announced on Instagram he will miss the entire 2020 Supercross season with a knee injury.

The injury was sustained earlier this week in a practice crash at the KTM test track when he overjumped an obstacle and landed hard.

It’s “not the kind of news I’m excited to share with you guys,” Musquin wrote. “I was really happy to be back on the bike riding after being injured at the end of the Motocross season and starting to train for Supercross. Unfortunately, I had an incident at the KTM test track and ultimately over-jumped a jump that had a very big impact on my legs when I landed, injuring my left knee.”

I had it evaluated by several doctors and it was determined that my knee required surgery. It’s devastating news to me as I was really looking forward to racing Supercross, but I will take the time needed to recover properly with my main focus being to return when I am strong enough to win races.”

Last year, Musquin sustained another knee injury in November that threatened his 2019 Supercross season. He was able to ride in the Anaheim 1 event and finished in the top 10. Musquin improved throughout the season, winning two races and finishing third in the points after making a determined charge.

Musquin missed the 2011 and 2014 Supercross seasons with ACL injuries.

View this post on Instagram

Not the kind of news I’m excited to share with you guys… I was really happy to be back on the bike riding after being injured at the end of the Motocross season and starting to train for Supercross. Unfortunately, I had an incident at the KTM test track and ultimately over-jumped a jump that had a very big impact on my legs when I landed, injuring my left knee. I had it evaluated by several doctors and it was determined that my knee required surgery. It’s devastating news to me as I was really looking forward to racing Supercross, but I will take the time needed to recover properly with my main focus being to return when I am strong enough to win races. A big thanks to my team @ktmusa for supporting me in this tough time. I feel terribly sorry for them and all my sponsors for not being able to represent them on the track for the 2020 AMA SX season. But we will be back 👊🏼

A post shared by #Marvin Musquin #25 (@marvinmusquin25) on