IndyCar: Takuma Sato and A.J. Foyt Racing are in serious need of a luck shift

1 Comment

For the second straight Verizon IndyCar Series season, Takuma Sato and the No. 14 ABC Supply Co. Honda team are in serious need of a luck turnaround.

Sato has not been able to buy a break in the last seven races, starting with the Indianapolis 500. Through almost no fault of his own, Sato has been the victim of circumstances since the opening oval race of the season.

At Indy, Sato was in a top-five position late before an unscheduled late pit stop to help remove debris trapped under his undertray following Scott Dixon’s accident. In Detroit, Sato had a target on his back with a gearbox issue in Race 1 and contact from both Ryan Briscoe and Marco Andretti in Race 2, despite scoring the pole position.

Texas was no kinder to the Houston-based A.J. Foyt Enterprises operation. A power loss with just seven laps to go ended his race at Texas Motor Speedway. In the Houston doubleheader, Sato was worth the price of admission on his own in the wet Race 1 before contact from the lapped Mikhail Aleshin took them both out, which led to an irate – if vintage – Foyt interview with NBCSN’s Robin Miller. Race 2 was no better with Andretti contacting him again, and slight contact later in the race taking him out.

At Pocono, Sato again qualified well – fourth – but retired early due to electrical gremlins.

“It’s a disappointing finish,” Sato said after Pocono. “We had the speed but we had a failure in the very early stages of the race. We couldn’t figure it out [in time to rejoin the race without losing many laps] so that’s why we didn’t go back out.”

So in the last seven races, this has been the run of finishes: 19, 18, 18, 18, 22, 19, 22. That seven-race string has dropped Sato from 12th to 21st in points, last among full-time entries.

It nearly mirrors a run of misery he endured last year, when from Iowa through Baltimore Sato’s finishes were: 23, 22, 24, 20, 22, 23, 24. In that run of seven races, Sato again had four mechanical failures that took him out, and a sole race finish of 22nd at Mid-Ohio.

Perhaps Iowa can provide the turning point. Although Sato is yet to score a top-10 finish there in four starts (best result of 12th in 2012), he is a past polesitter (2011) and renowned as one of the most exciting drivers to watch on the short ovals. He nearly won at Milwaukee last year and if the setup’s right, look for Sato to have the speed to contend on the 0.875-mile Iowa Speedway.

He and the No. 14 team just need the luck to match.

Helio Castroneves ‘hustling’ for IndyCar, IMSA rides; talking with four to five teams

Helio Castroneves IMSA IndyCar
IMSA
Leave a comment

As his season gathers steam, Helio Castroneves said his prospects for finding new rides for 2021 in IMSA and IndyCar also are gaining momentum.

The three-time Indianapolis 500 winner said Monday he is optimistic about landing in either or perhaps a combination of both series when Team Penske and Acura end their DPi partnership after this season.

“A lot of people I spoke with, four to five teams, are interested,” Castroneves said. “Whether it’s doing Indy 500 only, whether it’s pushing to do full time or do the sports cars as well. It’s been a very nice conversation.

LOOKING AHEADTeam Penske drivers seeking new rides for 2021

“I have a lot of respect for all the teams that have been talking, and I feel the same feedback. We just have to wait for their (sponsor) connections, and I’m also looking for some connections on my side as well, so hopefully we’ll be able to put this together and get something very soon.”

Given two decades of success with Penske in IndyCar and IMSA, Castroneves’ resume hardly needs burnishing. But the Brazilian has combined with co-driver Ricky Taylor in the No. 7 Acura DPi to win the past two overall victories at Road America and Michelin Raceway Road Atlanta.

But Castroneves, who doesn’t have a manager, said he has been working the phones hard rather than wait for the strong results to bring in the calls.

“At this point, I feel like I’m the one who needs to be talking to them because people need to know I want to continue racing and understand my desire,” Castroneves, 45, said. “There is opportunity, no question, in both (IndyCar and IMSA), which I’m really happy about it. However, because of the COVID-19, a lot of things sometimes have to be a little delayed. But I’m excited. Whatever the opportunity and whatever destiny guides me, whether IndyCar or sports cars, trust me I’ll be as happy as it could be and doing my 100 percent like I always did.

“It’s like politics, you need to be out there, good news or bad news. People have to make notice of your presence. I’m hustling. I want to continue to keep it going. Hopefully, we’ll have good news very soon.”

The news has been all good lately on track for Castroneves and Taylor, who hope to continue their run Sunday at Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course.

The No. 6 duo has surged to sixth in the IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship standings, 10 points out of the lead with four races remaining. After thinking there was “no hope” to be competitive after opening the season with three consecutive poor finishes, Taylor now sees an opportunity for a happy ending.

“With the program going away, Helio has won all the big races and given so much back to the team and left such a mark, he’s really part of Penske history,” Taylor said. “For me, it’s been an opportunity of a lifetime to be a part of it. I’d like to leave my little mark as well. Helio has won everything except for a championship.

“Obviously, we’ve won races already together, but we can win a championship now. I think if both of us can do that together and both win our first championship for ‘The Captain,’ that would be an absolute dream come true, and we can tie a bow on it and be happy.”