Joey Logano, Morgan Shepherd involved in accident at Lap 211

6 Comments

Running in the Top 5, Joey Logano was taken out in a crash at Lap 211 of today’s Camping World RV Sales 301 that also involved the lapped car of 72-year-old driver Morgan Shepherd.

Shepherd, who started last in today’s race, was listed as 15 laps down immediately after the accident. Replays appeared to show Logano being hit from behind in Turn 3 before hitting the wall. Shepherd was able to continue his race.

“The slowest car on the race track took us out – go figure,” Logano spat on TNT. “We had a pretty good Auto Trader Ford and just doing what we can to hang in there.

“We were running second…We were just doing what we can with strategy, keeping our cars toward the front, running good lap times and I felt like we could have a Penske 1-2 again.

“To get taken out by the slowest car – I feel like there should be a driver’s test when you get out in a Cup car and make sure you know how to drive it before you [race] one. But I don’t know, I guess there isn’t.”

When asked if he planned to speak with NASCAR on the subject, Logano felt it would do no good.

“That ain’t gonna go nowhere,” he said. “What am I going to say? It’s not NASCAR’s fault that he slid up and he’s the slowest car on the track. I don’t know, if you can’t control your stuff, don’t even be out there. If you’re 10 laps down, what are you doing?”

The incident also caused Tony Stewart to chime in on the matter, as SBNation’s Jordan Bianchi relays:

By starting today’s race, Shepherd broke his own record as the oldest driver to ever start a Sprint Cup event at 72 years, nine months, and one day.

Today marks Shepherd’s second start of 2014 after he finished 43rd with brake issues at Phoenix earlier this year.

Ken Roczen signs with HEP Progressive Ecstar Suzuki for 2023

Roczen Progressive Ecstar Suzuki
Align Media
0 Comments

ANAHEIM, California – Ken Roczen will make the move from HRC Honda to H.E.P. Motorsports with the Progressive Ecstar Suzuki team, ending a long and eventful offseason that saw his split from his longstanding team after he committed to running World Supercross (WSX).

“H.E.P. Motorsports is thrilled to announce that the team has signed Ken Roczen as its premier rider for the 2023 season,” the team announced on Instagram. “Former AMA Motocross champion Roczen will be aboard a Suzuki RM-Z450. Roczen, who won his most recent championship on a Suzuki, will be reunited with the brand and bring his exciting style, determination, and grit back to the RM Army.

“Ken Roczen will compete in the upcoming 2023 Supercross and Motocross Championship series which is set to start on January 7 at Anaheim Stadium in Southern California.”

For Roczen, it is a return to the bike of his youth and on which he had some of his greatest professional success.

“This thing has been going on for weeks and weeks and weeks in the making, but there was so much uncertainty,” Roczen told NBC Sports during Monster Energy Supercross Media Sessions. “It was a very unique situation. I just finally signed two nights ago, so it’s really only legit once the ink hits the paper. It’s been in the works for a long time, but there were just a lot of questions and a lot of input from a lot of other teams too.

“Good things take time, and I’m okay with that. I grew up riding Suzuki. Ot’s like a homecoming. It’s a special feeling”

Roczen won the 2016 Lucas Oil Pro Motocross Championship on a Suzuki before making the move to Honda. That year he won nine of 12 Nationals and finished no worse than second as he easily outpaced Eli Tomac by 86 points. He finished third in his next Pro Motocross outing in 2018 after sitting out the outdoor season in 2017.

“I am beyond excited to reconnect with Suzuki for the 3rd time in my career. We’ve had a lot of success in the past and I’m looking forward to seeing what we can accomplish together in our future.” Roczen said in the Instagram post.