Sutil not concerned about future with Sauber

1 Comment

Adrian Sutil has said that he is not concerned about his future despite a poor start to the season that has seen Sauber fail to score any points.

The German driver was rumored to be in the firing line for Sauber, with reserve driver Giedo van der Garde set to replace him according to a story in the Swiss press. However, he explained to NBCSN’s Will Buxton that he has no idea where these stories came from.

“I haven’t read it, so I don’t really know,” Sutil said. “I’m still here, 119 grands prix, that’s it.”

He is instead focusing on the job at hand and trying to make the most of the troublesome C33 Sauber car.

“There’s always what you have to do in sports, you have to work on and never give up, try to improve and push,” he explained. “Don’t talk too much – deliver. Me as a driver, I have my job to do first, and that’s what I have to do right now.

“The car is probably not the best but I can’t change that for the moment so maximize what the car can do. This is the job I want to do and achieve this weekend, and then for the near future, I hope to have a better car to make this racing a bit more enjoyable which is definitely the case when you’re in the top ten or in the race for points.”

The rumors about Sutil’s future weren’t helped when he deleted his Twitter account earlier this week. However, the German explained that there was nothing sinister behind it.

“I had no time,” he said. “It’s too much work for me on the phone so I’m very sorry.”

Although Sutil’s seat does appear to be safe for now, until Sauber’s results begin to improve, there will always be question marks hanging over his head and that of teammate Esteban Gutierrez.

Formula 1: Ricciardo on Monaco pole, Verstappen to start last

Photo: Getty Images
Leave a comment

Red Bull Racing’s Daniel Ricciardo has dominated all weekend long at the Monaco Grand Prix, leading every single practice session prior to qualifying.

And qualifying was more of the same for the Australian driver, whose quick lap in Q3 came in at 1:10.810, a new track record, to take the pole by more than two tenths of a second over Ferrari’s Sebastian Vettel.

Meanwhile, Ricciardo’s teammate Max Verstappen endured a much more difficult day, which started with a hard crash in FP3.

Verstappen’s Red Bull RB14 suffered extensive damage to the right side, and even more damage was later found in the car’s gearbox. Such repairs ultimately proved too time consuming, and Verstappen will start Sunday’s Monaco Grand Prix from last.

Mercedes’ Lewis Hamilton filled out the top three by qualifying third, with Ferrari and Mercedes also taking the fourth and fifth spots on the grid, with Kimi Raikkonen in fourth and Valtteri Bottas in fifth.

Force India’s Esteban Ocon, McLaren’s Fernando Alonso, and Renault’s Carlos Sainz Jr. take up spots six, seven, and eight on the grid. Sergio Perez made it two Force Indias in Q3, qualifying ninth, while Toro Rosso’s Pierre Gasly qualified tenth.

Full qualifying results are below. Sunday’s Monaco Grand Prix kicks off at 9:00 a.m. ET.

Follow@KyleMLavigne