IndyCar: Two red flags for rain postpone first Toronto race start (UPDATED)

3 Comments

TORONTO, 5:10 p.m. ET – We have confirmation from INDYCAR that the race, if it resumes, will be 65 laps or 90 minutes, whichever comes first.

5:00 p.m. ET – Guess what. We have another red flag. No determination on when this one will get back going, as yet.

4:55 p.m. ET – Since the last update, we’ve had a pace car spin and Will Power spin with contact into the Turn 11 barrier. Thus far, we have not completed any scored laps or time yet.

Power told NBCSN’s Marty Snider, “I just whipped it around, I had no chance. My bad. I don’t know, obviously at the front it’s a lot easier to see. Starting 18th you can’t see a thing. I don’t know. We’ll get out, it’ll take about an hour to fix it. That’s the worst spot on the track to have it. To not even start the race is a bad deal man. You sit there and think that’s a big chunk of points right there. Was not ready for that.”

4:25 p.m. ET – Visibility concerns for drivers has prompted a change from a standing start to a single-file rolling start. The race is expected to go green on the second time by.

4:05 p.m. ET: The first of the Honda Indy Toronto races is now on a temporary delay, as a red flag has been issued just before the start for race one.

What had been a steady drizzle in the hour leading up to the race has intensified; additionally, visibility issues have been reported by drivers around the 1.755-mile circuit.

“As you saw we tried to get the race underway, and see if the rain could ease off. The race technically hasn’t started yet, so teams can go to their box. They can do whatever they want to their cars. Hopefully the weather will ease up,” said IndyCar president of competition and operations Derrick Walker to NBCSN. “There was a lot of feedback from the teams the visibility was pretty bad.”

“It’s just the spray,” Jimmy Vasser, team co-owner of KVSH Racing told NBCSN’s Kevin Lee. “It could be interesting going into Turn 3. With the rain, it changes every situation.”

“The spray’s massive; behind me it’s awful so I can understand this call,” said KVSH’s Sebastien Bourdais, who scored the Verizon P1 award for the race.

“You get a little more anxious; steady rain is easier than rain, sun and rain, sun,” Penske Racing president Tim Cindric told NBCSN as well.

You can watch it live on NBCSN and NBC Sports Live Extra; stay tuned for MotorSportsTalk for further updates. The race will be a two-hour time limit, or 85 laps, whichever comes first. Teams are in the pits for changes.

Helio Castroneves ‘hustling’ for IndyCar, IMSA rides; talking with four to five teams

Helio Castroneves IMSA IndyCar
IMSA
Leave a comment

As his season gathers steam, Helio Castroneves said his prospects for finding new rides for 2021 in IMSA and IndyCar also are gaining momentum.

The three-time Indianapolis 500 winner said Monday he is optimistic about landing in either or perhaps a combination of both series when Team Penske and Acura end their DPi partnership after this season.

“A lot of people I spoke with, four to five teams, are interested,” Castroneves said. “Whether it’s doing Indy 500 only, whether it’s pushing to do full time or do the sports cars as well. It’s been a very nice conversation.

LOOKING AHEADTeam Penske drivers seeking new rides for 2021

“I have a lot of respect for all the teams that have been talking, and I feel the same feedback. We just have to wait for their (sponsor) connections, and I’m also looking for some connections on my side as well, so hopefully we’ll be able to put this together and get something very soon.”

Given two decades of success with Penske in IndyCar and IMSA, Castroneves’ resume hardly needs burnishing. But the Brazilian has combined with co-driver Ricky Taylor in the No. 7 Acura DPi to win the past two overall victories at Road America and Michelin Raceway Road Atlanta.

But Castroneves, who doesn’t have a manager, said he has been working the phones hard rather than wait for the strong results to bring in the calls.

“At this point, I feel like I’m the one who needs to be talking to them because people need to know I want to continue racing and understand my desire,” Castroneves, 45, said. “There is opportunity, no question, in both (IndyCar and IMSA), which I’m really happy about it. However, because of the COVID-19, a lot of things sometimes have to be a little delayed. But I’m excited. Whatever the opportunity and whatever destiny guides me, whether IndyCar or sports cars, trust me I’ll be as happy as it could be and doing my 100 percent like I always did.

“It’s like politics, you need to be out there, good news or bad news. People have to make notice of your presence. I’m hustling. I want to continue to keep it going. Hopefully, we’ll have good news very soon.”

The news has been all good lately on track for Castroneves and Taylor, who hope to continue their run Sunday at Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course.

The No. 6 duo has surged to sixth in the IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship standings, 10 points out of the lead with four races remaining. After thinking there was “no hope” to be competitive after opening the season with three consecutive poor finishes, Taylor now sees an opportunity for a happy ending.

“With the program going away, Helio has won all the big races and given so much back to the team and left such a mark, he’s really part of Penske history,” Taylor said. “For me, it’s been an opportunity of a lifetime to be a part of it. I’d like to leave my little mark as well. Helio has won everything except for a championship.

“Obviously, we’ve won races already together, but we can win a championship now. I think if both of us can do that together and both win our first championship for ‘The Captain,’ that would be an absolute dream come true, and we can tie a bow on it and be happy.”