Button pleased with McLaren progress; no word on 2015

Leave a comment

Jenson Button is confident that McLaren is making some good progress after a difficult start to the season, but still believes that the likes of Mercedes and Williams remain out of the team’s reach.

The Briton finished the German Grand Prix in eighth place last time out, but lost a lot of positions thanks to a dud strategy. The result aside, he feels that the pace of the MP4-29 car is certainly improving.

“We’ve made a few mistakes in the race in Hockenheim,” he conceded. “I think we were still quite a way off of the Mercedes, the Williams and the Red Bull, realistically. But after that, we’re okay. We’ve made some improvements, the car is feeling a bit better which is nice. We’re definitely going in the right direction, it just takes so long.

“I think we’re happy with the direction that we’ve taken. It’s just a few things at the circuit we know we need to improve on and we have been improving, but the race wasn’t what we’d hoped for in terms of strategy, but we can put it right this race.”

Button is a two-time winner of the Hungarian Grand Prix, claiming his first ever F1 victory at the Hungaroring back in 2006. He feels that the McLaren will be better suited to this circuit, and also thinks that the loss of FRIC could play into his hands.

“The car should work reasonably well here as well with the balance and the package that we had at Hockenheim, it should benefit us more here,” he said. “We don’t have the super-soft tires here either which is a tire that we find quite difficult to work with. We’ll see what happens, it’s quirky little circuit, it’s quite bumpy.

“It will be interesting to see how different the cars are without the FRIC system around here, because a bumpy circuit is a big issue when you don’t have a FRIC system. A lot of the FRIC system is to help with the ride quality.”

Button is yet to confirm his plans for 2015, be it with or without McLaren, and said that no discussions have been held despite us reaching the halfway point of the season.

“No,” he said when asked by NBC Sports if any talks had been held. “To be fair, I haven’t thought about it either and that’s 100% the truth. I haven’t asked any questions and I don’t feel there’s any need to.”

Reports: Fernando Alonso to test on September 5 at Barber Motorsports Park

Getty Images
Leave a comment

According to a number of media stories Thursday afternoon and evening, two-time Formula One champion Fernando Alonso will reportedly test an Indy car at Barber Motorsports Park on Wednesday, September 5.

The 2.38-mile permanent road course just outside Birmingham, Alabama, per those stories, will play host to Alonso as he reportedly tests with IndyCar’s Andretti Autosport team and Honda.

Honda Performance Development (HPD) President Art St. Cyr issued a statement late Thursday afternoon about Alonso’s reported upcoming test:

“Fernando Alonso is one of the premier racing drivers of this generation, and we very much enjoyed working with him at the 2017 Indianapolis 500.

“He has shown that he can be very competitive right off the bat, and it would be great for IndyCar if he were to decide to drive here full-time after his F1 career. Having Alonso as a driver would be an obvious benefit for any team or manufacturer.”

However, St. Cyr’s statement also included a reference to Honda potentially not being able to field a new engine for Alonso in the IndyCar series in 2019.

“Our engine lease agreements are made between HPD and specific teams,” St. Cyr’s statement said. “Several of our current IndyCar Series teams already have agreements in place with HPD for the 2019 season, and we have been operating near maximum capacity all year long to properly provide powerful, reliable engines for all of our teams.

“We have had discussions with several current and potential teams for 2019, and those discussions are ongoing.”

Rumors of Alonso potentially racing for a hybrid operation that would include Andretti Autosport, McLaren and Harding Racing have been picking up speed. But there’s one potential major hurdle: Harding’s Dallara’s are powered by Chevrolet engines.

Alonso announced earlier this week that he’d be retiring from Formula One at season’s end, saying he’s looking forward to new adventures.

Because of his loyalty to McLaren, it’s increasingly looking as if Alonso comes to IndyCar, McLaren will have some involvement – although perhaps not as much as it potentially could do if it went all-in with a full-time effort immediately in 2019.

There is no word whether Chevrolet or Harding Racing could potentially be on hand at the Sept. 5 test at BMP, even in just an observation role.

Since being part of the winning team at the 24 Hours of Le Mans in June, Alonso’s desire to become only the second driver to win motorsport’s triple crown – the Monaco Grand Prix, Le Mans and the Indianapolis 500 – has increased exponentially.

He’s already won the first two; just a Indy 500 triumph remains on his bucket list.

The late Graham Hill is the only driver to have accomplished the triple crown feat to date.

Alonso, who turned 37 on July 29, has made just one prior IndyCar start, in the 2017 Indianapolis 500. He led 27 laps of the 200-lap event and appeared to have a car strong enough to win before it suffered engine failure with 21 laps remaining.

Instead of what likely could have been a top-five finish, if not a win, Alonso’s first foray into IndyCar racing ended disappointingly with a 24th-place finish.

In addition to being courted by IndyCar, NASCAR has also jumped into the Alonso sweepstakes, saying he’d be welcome to race in the 2019 Daytona 500.

Follow @JerryBonkowski