Force India boss sees no reason to change line-up for 2015

Leave a comment

Force India team owner Vijay Mallya is confident that he will retain both Sergio Perez and Nico Hulkenberg for 2015 following a successful first half of the year.

Hulkenberg has scored points in every single race so far, whilst Perez secured the team’s first podium in five years at the Bahrain Grand Prix. Currently, Force India lies fifth in the constructors’ championship ahead of McLaren, but Mallya believes that beating the British team is not the only target to have.

“I don’t want to only set the benchmark as McLaren,” he said. “They are a world championship winning team. We obviously are ahead on merit. They have the propensity to catch up but equally we have the propensity to improve even further. As I said, it’s quite competitive between three or four teams and I think the final race will be the final result.”

Mallya underlined his faith in both Hulkenberg and Perez, suggesting that they will not be leaving the team at the end of the season like Paul di Resta and Adrian Sutil did at the end of last year.

“We have options on both,” Mallya said. “I’m very happy with both of them and I see no reason why we should be looking at any change.”

The team is just eleven points shy of its best ever season in F1, and it may well be that Mallya’s biggest challenge is fending off advances from teams further up the field for his drivers.

IndyCar teams with NASCAR on IMS road course doubleheader in 2021

IndyCar NASCAR doubleheader 2021
Jamie Squire/Getty Images
Leave a comment

The NTT IndyCar Series will be sharing Indianapolis Motor Speedway with the NASCAR Cup Series in a race weekend doubleheader for the second consecutive season, but both series will be on the road course in August 2021.

IMS announced Wednesday that IndyCar will hold an Aug. 14, 2021 race on its 14-turn, 2.439-mile road course. It’ll be a day before NASCAR’s premier series runs the same layout for the first time after the Brickyard 400 was contested on the 2.5-mile oval for the first time in 27 years.

This season’s rescheduling of the IndyCar GMR Grand Prix to July 4, 2019 (a day before the Brickyard 400) led to the first NASCAR-IndyCar doubleheader weekend. The Xfinity Series also raced on the IMS road course for the first time July 4 after the IndyCar race ended.

INDYCAR AT IMS THIS WEEKEND: Harvest GP schedule, entry lists

IndyCar will be holding its second race weekend this year at the IMS road course Friday and Saturday with the Harvest GP.

“Our first NASCAR-INDYCAR weekend was a big success last July, with positive feedback from
our loyal fans who watched the races on NBC and from the drivers, teams and participants
involved,” IMS president Douglas Boles said in a statement. “The Xfinity Series’ debut on the IMS road course provided exactly the kind of thrilling action from the green to checkered flags that we anticipated, so we know the teams and drivers of the Cup Series will put on a great show as they turn left and right for the first time at IMS.

“We can’t wait to welcome back fans to see NASCAR and INDYCAR together during this
exciting weekend as we add another memorable chapter in the long, storied history of the
Indianapolis Motor Speedway.”

It also will mark the first NASCAR Cup-IndyCar doubleheader with a crowd as fans weren’t permitted at IMS in July because of the novel coronvavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.

Over the course of Wednesday, NASCAR is releasing its 36-race slate for next season. IndyCar has yet to release its full 2021 schedule.