Announcement of Edwards’ exit from Roush Fenway had some strange timing

1 Comment

This Sunday morning at Indianapolis got a bit more distracting for Carl Edwards, crew chief Jimmy Fennig, and the No. 99 Roush Fenway Racing team.

Hours away from one of the biggest NASCAR races of the year, Jack Roush revealed that Edwards would not be returning to the team next season. Instead, the Cat in the Hat will have Greg Biffle, Ricky Stenhouse Jr., and Trevor Bayne in his 2015 stable.

We’ve known that Edwards leaving Roush at the end of 2014 was a distinct possibility, even as Edwards himself has constantly chosen to stay silent on the matter.

But while the announcement isn’t exactly a surprise, the timing most definitely is. In a brief interview with reporters that was captured by Fox Sports, Edwards tried to keep focus on today’s Brickyard 400 and the remainder of the 2014 campaign.

“Our mission is to go win this race today and the championship,” Edwards said. “From a competitive standpoint, that’s the key and so, that’s where I’m at today.”

“When it’s time to talk about [2015], I’ll tell you guys and we’ll do it,” he added before being hustled off to a pre-race sponsor function. But before he went away, Edwards said this:

“It is unfortunate that all of this is happening on a race day. Because that’s the number-one focus.”

Or rather, it should be the number-one focus – especially going into this particular race. Instead, Edwards is having to deal with the aftermath of this announcement and ward off questions about his future.

And when he steps out of his Ford Fusion at the end of today’s race, he’ll likely have to deal with it all again. Even if he wins.

Far be it from me to question a team owner that has made countless decisions through more than 25 years at NASCAR’s top level, but Roush did not do Edwards any favors by announcing this today.

Why now? Why not do this the mid-week before or perhaps the Monday after?

Additionally, you would think Edwards’ solid year would have earned him some courtesy on this matter. He has been Roush’s standard-bearer this season – sixth in points with two trophies from Bristol and Sonoma.

Overall, the team has been a couple of steps behind in performance. Yet Edwards has remained steady and will be among those racing for a championship this fall in the Chase. Heck, he could be the only Roush man in the post-season if Greg Biffle and Ricky Stenhouse Jr. don’t pick up a win themselves in these final seven regular season races.

But apparently, that didn’t matter.

Once Edwards gets inside the car today at IMS, it’ll be down to business. But right now? He and the rest of his team have got to be thinking, ‘We did not need this.’

Marvin Musquin to miss entire 2020 Supercross season

Feld Entertainment Inc
Leave a comment

On Friday, Marvin Musquin announced on Instagram he will miss the entire 2020 Supercross season with a knee injury.

The injury was sustained earlier this week in a practice crash at the KTM test track when he overjumped an obstacle and landed hard.

It’s “not the kind of news I’m excited to share with you guys,” Musquin wrote. “I was really happy to be back on the bike riding after being injured at the end of the Motocross season and starting to train for Supercross. Unfortunately, I had an incident at the KTM test track and ultimately over-jumped a jump that had a very big impact on my legs when I landed, injuring my left knee.”

I had it evaluated by several doctors and it was determined that my knee required surgery. It’s devastating news to me as I was really looking forward to racing Supercross, but I will take the time needed to recover properly with my main focus being to return when I am strong enough to win races.”

Last year, Musquin sustained another knee injury in November that threatened his 2019 Supercross season. He was able to ride in the Anaheim 1 event and finished in the top 10. Musquin improved throughout the season, winning two races and finishing third in the points after making a determined charge.

Musquin missed the 2011 and 2014 Supercross seasons with ACL injuries.

View this post on Instagram

Not the kind of news I’m excited to share with you guys… I was really happy to be back on the bike riding after being injured at the end of the Motocross season and starting to train for Supercross. Unfortunately, I had an incident at the KTM test track and ultimately over-jumped a jump that had a very big impact on my legs when I landed, injuring my left knee. I had it evaluated by several doctors and it was determined that my knee required surgery. It’s devastating news to me as I was really looking forward to racing Supercross, but I will take the time needed to recover properly with my main focus being to return when I am strong enough to win races. A big thanks to my team @ktmusa for supporting me in this tough time. I feel terribly sorry for them and all my sponsors for not being able to represent them on the track for the 2020 AMA SX season. But we will be back 👊🏼

A post shared by #Marvin Musquin #25 (@marvinmusquin25) on