IndyCar: Carpenter hopeful for second car in 2015

1 Comment

This is no different than in the past, but Ed Carpenter has said he would like to expand the Ed Carpenter Racing team to a second car next year.

As ever, finding the funding to make it happen will determine whether it will in fact, happen.

“We would like to expand,” Carpenter said during Wednesday’s INDYCAR conference call. “I think we’ve talked about that in 2012 when we started the team, that’s something we would like to do. But there are always a lot of variables with that, getting to that point. Hopefully we get there. We’re working hard to be able to expand. We’ll just have to wait and see what the future holds.”

The team ran a second car at the Indianapolis 500 this year for JR Hildebrand. There are no plans at the moment to see Hildebrand back for the rest of this season, which include the two California races in Sonoma and Fontana to end the season.

Both Carpenter, the oval driver of the No. 20 Fuzzy’s Vodka Chevrolet, and road course/street course driver Mike Conway, are optimistic they can keep their ride share arrangement active for next year as well.

“I’m just enjoying doing all the road course racing, watching Ed on the ovals,” Conway said. “I think it’s a really good pairing, working out well. I definitely see we can work more in the offseason, we’ll definitely be able to come back stronger next year. So it’s a really good thing.”

NEOM McLaren Formula E announces Jake Hughes will join Rene Rast for 2023 season

McLaren Formula E Hughes
McLaren Racing
0 Comments

Doubling down on their commitment to electric auto sports, McLaren Racing announced Jake Hughes will join Rene Rast to compete in the 2023 Formula E Series (FE), which completes their driver lineup.

The NEOM McLaren FE team was formed by the acquisition of the Mercedes-EQ Formula E team that won the 2021 and 2022 championships with Stoffel Vandoorne and Nyck de Vries behind the wheel.

“Today’s announcement feels like a long time coming,” said Ian James, managing director of NEOM McLaren Electric Racing in a release. “Since May this year, when we first announced McLaren Racing’s entry into Formula E, we have been working tirelessly to get in place the best possible team and structure for sustainable success.

“On the one hand, we have been working on the retention of the amazing talent that already was in place before going into the transitional phase. I’m proud to say I think we’ve done a great job on that front.

“On the other hand, we have been focusing on putting in place new processes and new talent – and the latter includes the drivers.”

The driver lineup clasps the two hands together.

Hughes brings 10 years racing experience in single seater cars, including a role with the acquired Mercedes-EQ team as a reserve and development driver for the past two seasons. He is the 2013 BRDC Formula 4 champion and has multiple wins in Formula 2, including two in 2020.

Announced in August, Rast joins the team after earning two podium finishes and six top-fives in 22 career Formula E starts for Audi Sport ABT before returning to the DTM Series last year. Rast’s best finish in Formula E came in the Puebla E Prix when he finished second to teammate Lucas di Grassi by less than a half second.

McLaren’s commitment to Formula E comes one year after they entered the Extreme E rally series in 2022 with Tanner Foust and Emma Gilmour in the driver lineup. After a modest start to the season, the McLaren XE drivers crossed the finish line first in Round 4 in Chile, but were assessed a time penalty that dropped them to fifth. Last week in the season finale in Uruguay, they held onto a hard-earned second place finish.