Season struggles continue for NNS rookie Kwasniewski

1 Comment

It’s been a rough rookie season in the Nationwide Series for Dylan Kwasniewski.

The 19-year-old Las Vegas native came into the series billed as a potential star of the future, having spent two years as part of the NASCAR Next group of up-and-coming drivers.

He won the K&N Pro Series West championship at the age of 17 in 2012, and the K&N Pro Series East title at the age of 18 in 2013, becoming the only driver in K&N history to earn titles in both east- and west-coast based series.

He also was featured on a web-based reality series, “Flat Out,” which followed Kwasniewski both on and off the racetrack, highlighting not only his racing endeavors, but also his personal and family life.

With all those good things going for him, it seemed like he was ready to make the big move to the Nationwide Series, which potentially would be nothing more than a stopover point for Kwasniewski on his way up to the Sprint Cup Series.

But it has not been an easy road for Kwasniewski. In 21 NNS starts this season, he’s failed to earn a win or even a top-five finish, and has just two top-10 showings to his credit.

He’s had nine finishes of 20th or worse.

Also, after being as high as fifth in the season rankings after the second race of the season (Phoenix), Kwasniewski has been stuck in 12th-place in the series standings for eight of the last nine races.

He’s also been involved in several wrecks, including three DNFs directly related to crashes.

Things became so rough that just before last month’s race at Chicagoland, the driver of the Rockstar Energy Chevrolet saw veteran crew chief Pat Tryson relieved of his duties and reassigned within the TSM organization.

Shannon Rursch replaced Tryson as crew chief.

But the crew chief change has not greatly affected Kwasniewski’s success factor in their first four races together. While he earned finishes of 17th and 14th, followed by a ninth-place showing last week at Iowa, his second-best finish of the season, Kwasniewski once again had a mediocre 27th-place showing Saturday at Watkins Glen, finishing one lap off the lead lap.

It’s been a trying season, hasn’t it, Dylan?

“I definitely set high expectations for myself,” Kwasniewski recently told his hometown newspaper, the Las Vegas Review-Journal. “So I’m a little bit disappointed in my finishes so far. But to me, the big thing is to finish the races and to gain all the experience I can by completing every lap.

“Once you finish the laps and finish the race, then the good finishes will come after that.”

Kwasniewski has been criticized for being overly aggressive, but that’s nothing unusual for a series rookie. Many other drivers have been accused of – and been guilty of – the same thing.

The most recent episode of too much aggresiveness came in Saturday’s race at The Glen, when Kwasniewski was involved in two different run-ins with series veteran Regan Smith, who confronted the young rookie while still in his car on pit road after the race (Smith finished 17th, Kwasniewski 27th).

“It was nothing, I’m fine,” Smith told ESPN. “I had two runs on him. The second time, he just didn’t give at the point in the race he should have give. He said he wasn’t trying to wreck me, that he just was mad.”

Smith is under contract as a development driver for Chip Ganassi Racing. But it’s likely he’ll be staying in the Nationwide Series for at least a couple more seasons of seasoning and development before promoting him to Sprint Cup is broached.

“We were set up to have a lot of good finishes — a lot of top 10s and even some top fives,” Kwasniewski said of several races earlier this season. “Then I ended up screwing up because I was trying to overextend. That’s my competitive nature.

“I made some mistakes, and I ended up wrecking some cars. You can’t learn anything from that, so I’ve got a little different mentality.”

Follow me @JerryBonkowski

Ken Roczen signs with HEP Progressive Ecstar Suzuki for 2023

Roczen Progressive Ecstar Suzuki
Align Media
0 Comments

ANAHEIM, California – Ken Roczen will make the move from HRC Honda to H.E.P. Motorsports with the Progressive Ecstar Suzuki team, ending a long and eventful offseason that saw his split from his longstanding team after he committed to running World Supercross (WSX).

“H.E.P. Motorsports is thrilled to announce that the team has signed Ken Roczen as its premier rider for the 2023 season,” the team announced on Instagram. “Former AMA Motocross champion Roczen will be aboard a Suzuki RM-Z450. Roczen, who won his most recent championship on a Suzuki, will be reunited with the brand and bring his exciting style, determination, and grit back to the RM Army.

“Ken Roczen will compete in the upcoming 2023 Supercross and Motocross Championship series which is set to start on January 7 at Anaheim Stadium in Southern California.”

For Roczen, it is a return to the bike of his youth and on which he had some of his greatest professional success.

“This thing has been going on for weeks and weeks and weeks in the making, but there was so much uncertainty,” Roczen told NBC Sports during Monster Energy Supercross Media Sessions. “It was a very unique situation. I just finally signed two nights ago, so it’s really only legit once the ink hits the paper. It’s been in the works for a long time, but there were just a lot of questions and a lot of input from a lot of other teams too.

“Good things take time, and I’m okay with that. I grew up riding Suzuki. Ot’s like a homecoming. It’s a special feeling”

Roczen won the 2016 Lucas Oil Pro Motocross Championship on a Suzuki before making the move to Honda. That year he won nine of 12 Nationals and finished no worse than second as he easily outpaced Eli Tomac by 86 points. He finished third in his next Pro Motocross outing in 2018 after sitting out the outdoor season in 2017.

“I am beyond excited to reconnect with Suzuki for the 3rd time in my career. We’ve had a lot of success in the past and I’m looking forward to seeing what we can accomplish together in our future.” Roczen said in the Instagram post.