Force India success lies in decision to switch focus in 2013

0 Comments

Just as Sauber’s decision to keep developing its 2013 car has come back to haunt the Swiss team in 2014, Force India’s Otmar Szafnauer has said the team’s call to focus on this year early has proven to be the right one.

In 2013, Force India made a good start to the season before its form fell off towards the end of the year, with the team eventually finishing sixth in the constructors’ behind McLaren.

Although Szafnauer, Force India’s chief operating officer, thinks that the team could have finished fifth, it would not have made such a superb start in 2014, and he feels that the changes made to Pirelli’s compounds damaged Force India more than others.

“We had a dilemma: do we stop what we’re doing for 2014 and react to the new tires, which would have taken us a while, or do we just continue?” he told Formula1.com, reflecting on 2013. “Had we tried to react, it would have had a bigger impact on this year’s car than what we could have gained last year.

“The only thing we could have gained was beating McLaren to fifth, and that was close anyway. So the potential upside was one position, but the downside this year would have been huge.”

Szafnauer was also quick to praise drivers Nico Hulkenberg and Sergio Perez, who have scored 98 points to put the team ahead of McLaren in the constructors’ with eight races to go.

“We have a very good relationship, a long-standing one, with Nico,” he said. “He is very intelligent, has good feedback and helps us develop the car.

“Sergio has fitted in very well in his first year. He is a very quick racing driver, especially in the races. He finished on the podium and Nico has scored in every race, so they’ve both done a very good job.”

Ken Roczen signs with HEP Progressive Ecstar Suzuki for 2023

Roczen Progressive Ecstar Suzuki
Align Media
0 Comments

ANAHEIM, California – Ken Roczen will make the move from HRC Honda to H.E.P. Motorsports with the Progressive Ecstar Suzuki team, ending a long and eventful offseason that saw his split from his longstanding team after he committed to running World Supercross (WSX).

“H.E.P. Motorsports is thrilled to announce that the team has signed Ken Roczen as its premier rider for the 2023 season,” the team announced on Instagram. “Former AMA Motocross champion Roczen will be aboard a Suzuki RM-Z450. Roczen, who won his most recent championship on a Suzuki, will be reunited with the brand and bring his exciting style, determination, and grit back to the RM Army.

“Ken Roczen will compete in the upcoming 2023 Supercross and Motocross Championship series which is set to start on January 7 at Anaheim Stadium in Southern California.”

For Roczen, it is a return to the bike of his youth and on which he had some of his greatest professional success.

“This thing has been going on for weeks and weeks and weeks in the making, but there was so much uncertainty,” Roczen told NBC Sports during Monster Energy Supercross Media Sessions. “It was a very unique situation. I just finally signed two nights ago, so it’s really only legit once the ink hits the paper. It’s been in the works for a long time, but there were just a lot of questions and a lot of input from a lot of other teams too.

“Good things take time, and I’m okay with that. I grew up riding Suzuki. Ot’s like a homecoming. It’s a special feeling”

Roczen won the 2016 Lucas Oil Pro Motocross Championship on a Suzuki before making the move to Honda. That year he won nine of 12 Nationals and finished no worse than second as he easily outpaced Eli Tomac by 86 points. He finished third in his next Pro Motocross outing in 2018 after sitting out the outdoor season in 2017.

“I am beyond excited to reconnect with Suzuki for the 3rd time in my career. We’ve had a lot of success in the past and I’m looking forward to seeing what we can accomplish together in our future.” Roczen said in the Instagram post.