Kvyat: Safety changes in F1 necessary, not disarming the sport

3 Comments

Toro Rosso’s Daniil Kvyat has hit back at comments made by former driver manager Willi Weber saying that F1 drivers are no longer as courageous and risky as they used to be, and has given his support to the changes made to circuits to improve safety standards.

Speaking to Bild earlier this week, Weber said that the sport had lost its edge and no longer had drivers with character. “Who wants to see the wimps of today crying on the radio?” he pondered. “There are no more characters like Ayrton Senna, Jacques Villenueve and Michael Schumacher were.

“They would not complain on the radio but give their answer on the track.”

For some time, many critics have claimed that the sport is becoming too easy for drivers, but Kvyat explained to Omnicorse that he felt this sold the current grid very short.

“Courage is always an important part of motorsport,” the Russian said. “I don’t like it when they say that nowadays the drivers don’t take risks and that we, in comparison with the 80s, are not real men. All these things are bullsh*t.”

Earlier this week, pictures of a newly-asphalted run-off area at Parabolica at Monza were released, causing a backlash as one of the sport’s classic corners became a little less difficult. For Kvyat though, these changes are sensible to improve safety standards.

“When you go to 340 km/h and miss the brakes you end up in the wall, even if there is 100m of asphalt,” he said. “The risk in F1 cannot be erased.

“And if they had kept the run-off areas as gravel we could see drivers getting injured every weekend. So it is right that we do everything we can to improve the safety of the tracks and cars.”

IndyCar teams with NASCAR on IMS road course doubleheader in 2021

IndyCar NASCAR doubleheader 2021
Jamie Squire/Getty Images
Leave a comment

The NTT IndyCar Series will be sharing Indianapolis Motor Speedway with the NASCAR Cup Series in a race weekend doubleheader for the second consecutive season, but both series will be on the road course in August 2021.

IMS announced Wednesday that IndyCar will hold an Aug. 14, 2021 race on its 14-turn, 2.439-mile road course. It’ll be a day before NASCAR’s premier series runs the same layout for the first time after the Brickyard 400 was contested on the 2.5-mile oval for the first time in 27 years.

This season’s rescheduling of the IndyCar GMR Grand Prix to July 4, 2019 (a day before the Brickyard 400) led to the first NASCAR-IndyCar doubleheader weekend. The Xfinity Series also raced on the IMS road course for the first time July 4 after the IndyCar race ended.

INDYCAR AT IMS THIS WEEKEND: Harvest GP schedule, entry lists

IndyCar will be holding its second race weekend this year at the IMS road course Friday and Saturday with the Harvest GP.

“Our first NASCAR-INDYCAR weekend was a big success last July, with positive feedback from
our loyal fans who watched the races on NBC and from the drivers, teams and participants
involved,” IMS president Douglas Boles said in a statement. “The Xfinity Series’ debut on the IMS road course provided exactly the kind of thrilling action from the green to checkered flags that we anticipated, so we know the teams and drivers of the Cup Series will put on a great show as they turn left and right for the first time at IMS.

“We can’t wait to welcome back fans to see NASCAR and INDYCAR together during this
exciting weekend as we add another memorable chapter in the long, storied history of the
Indianapolis Motor Speedway.”

It also will mark the first NASCAR Cup-IndyCar doubleheader with a crowd as fans weren’t permitted at IMS in July because of the novel coronvavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.

Over the course of Wednesday, NASCAR is releasing its 36-race slate for next season. IndyCar has yet to release its full 2021 schedule.