Calling hours, funeral set for sprint car racer Kevin Ward Jr.

Leave a comment

The Rochester (N.Y.) Democrat and Chronicle is now reporting that calling hours for fallen sprint car racer Kevin Ward Jr. will be on Wednesday and a funeral is set for Thursday.

According to the paper, visitation will be held on Wednesday afternoon and evening at the Trainor Funeral Home in Boonville, New York.

Ward’s funeral is scheduled for 11 a.m. local time on Thursday. However, funeral director Carl Trainor told the paper that because his funeral home isn’t large enough to hold the expected crowd, a venue for the funeral has yet to be finalized.

The paper’s report notes that they’re hoping to find a larger location “for mourners and vehicles” close to Ward’s hometown of Port Leyden, New York.

Ward, 20, a five-year veteran of the Empire Super Sprints series, lost his life on Saturday night when he was struck by the car of NASCAR star Tony Stewart during a sprint car race at Canandaigua (N.Y.) Motorsports Park.

As of now, the investigation remains ongoing, and on Sunday, Ontario County (N.Y.) Sheriff Philip Povero said that at this time, there is no evidence to suggest criminal intent from Stewart or any party involved in the accident.

Ward’s tragic death has shook the town of Port Leyden and surrounding communities as well.

“It’s tough; it will be tough here for a while,” local resident Randy Mooney said Sunday to the D&C. “Kevin hung out with the kids his age, he went swimming with the kids.”

Another local, Don Gydesen, added: “Everybody feels awful bad. Everybody around here knows Kevin.”

Earlier today, CMP announced that it was canceling its slate of races for Wednesday in the wake of the accident.

Porsche pulls GTLM cars from Mid-Ohio because of COVID-19 positives

Porsche Mid-Ohio COVID-19
David Rosenblum/Icon Sportswire via Getty Images
Leave a comment

Porsche will skip Saturday’s IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship race with its two GTLM cars at Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course after three positive COVID-19 tests were confirmed during the 24 Hours of Le Mans.

That resulted in Porsche choosing to pull out of the Nurburgring 24 Hour endurance race in Germany, electing to avoid sending any team members as a precautionary measure.

Porsche Motorsport announced Tuesday that its COVID-19 decision also would apply at Mid-Ohio to its No. 911 and No. 12 teams.

HUSTLING HELIO: Castroneves hunting for 2021 rides in IMSA, IndyCar

Three of Porsche’s four IMSA GTLM drivers — Laurens Vanthoor, Frederic Makowiecki and Nick Tandy — also were racing in Le Mans. The trio has remained isolated in Europe and won’t be allowed to travel.

“Based on yesterday’s decision that no employee or racing driver of our Le Mans team will participate in the Nürburgring 24 Hours, we have today decided that this ruling will also apply to the upcoming IWSC race in Mid-Ohio,” Fritz Enzinger, vice president for Porsche Motorsport, said in a release. “This means that Laurens, Nick and Fred will not be traveling to the USA.

“This is very regrettable, but we would like to emphasize that in this case as well the health of all those concerned is the prime focus of the decisions we have taken.”

The decision also affects Earl Bamber, who teamed with Vanthoor to win the GTLM championship last year in the No. 912.

Porsche said its GTLM Porsche 911 RSR-19 entries will return for the Oct. 10 race at the Charlotte Motor Speedway Roval.

That will reduce the GTLM class to four cars — two Corvettes and two BMWs — this weekend at Mid-Ohio, in what could be somewhat of a 2021 preview. Porsche Motorsport announced earlier this year that it will leave IMSA after the 2020 season because of the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.