IndyCar: Hunter-Reay’s charge ends at Milwaukee (VIDEO)

0 Comments

WEST ALLIS, Wis. – Ryan Hunter-Reay’s day at the Milwaukee Mile was symptomatic of his 2014 Verizon IndyCar Series season: highest of highs, and lowest of lows.

The day began with a multi-year contract extension at Andretti Autosport for both him and sponsor DHL.

But in Sunday’s ABC Supply Co. Wisconsin 250 at Milwaukee IndyFest Presented by the Metro Milwaukee Honda Dealers, Hunter-Reay put in a charge to the front that ultimately came up snake eyes.

Hunter-Reay came from 19th on the grid to as high as fifth, courtesy of an excellent first stint. But after fading to 11th following his second stop, Hunter-Reay had an apparent right-rear suspension failure on the front straight at Lap 168.

He had a reported similar issue at Pocono earlier this year. At 64 points back of points leader Will Power, who was leading as of Lap 180, this will almost certainly take Hunter-Reay out of the championship battle.

“I could feel it running rough. It wasn’t a clean suspension break,” Hunter-Reay told NBCSN’s Marty Snider. “It was something with the right rear, CV joint popped out, it was undriveable. We had a great start. The yellow kind of got us. Wasn’t the balance I wanted. This is probably our championship hope, gone. It’s gonna be pretty hard from here. Just wasn’t meant to be.”

The day exacerbated a frustrating afternoon for Andretti Autosport; Carlos Munoz retired after contact on Lap 131 to become the first retirement of the race.

NEOM McLaren Formula E announces Jake Hughes will join Rene Rast for 2023 season

McLaren Formula E Hughes
McLaren Racing
0 Comments

Doubling down on their commitment to electric auto sports, McLaren Racing announced Jake Hughes will join Rene Rast to compete in the 2023 Formula E Series (FE), which completes their driver lineup.

The NEOM McLaren FE team was formed by the acquisition of the Mercedes-EQ Formula E team that won the 2021 and 2022 championships with Stoffel Vandoorne and Nyck de Vries behind the wheel.

“Today’s announcement feels like a long time coming,” said Ian James, managing director of NEOM McLaren Electric Racing in a release. “Since May this year, when we first announced McLaren Racing’s entry into Formula E, we have been working tirelessly to get in place the best possible team and structure for sustainable success.

“On the one hand, we have been working on the retention of the amazing talent that already was in place before going into the transitional phase. I’m proud to say I think we’ve done a great job on that front.

“On the other hand, we have been focusing on putting in place new processes and new talent – and the latter includes the drivers.”

The driver lineup clasps the two hands together.

Hughes brings 10 years racing experience in single seater cars, including a role with the acquired Mercedes-EQ team as a reserve and development driver for the past two seasons. He is the 2013 BRDC Formula 4 champion and has multiple wins in Formula 2, including two in 2020.

Announced in August, Rast joins the team after earning two podium finishes and six top-fives in 22 career Formula E starts for Audi Sport ABT before returning to the DTM Series last year. Rast’s best finish in Formula E came in the Puebla E Prix when he finished second to teammate Lucas di Grassi by less than a half second.

McLaren’s commitment to Formula E comes one year after they entered the Extreme E rally series in 2022 with Tanner Foust and Emma Gilmour in the driver lineup. After a modest start to the season, the McLaren XE drivers crossed the finish line first in Round 4 in Chile, but were assessed a time penalty that dropped them to fifth. Last week in the season finale in Uruguay, they held onto a hard-earned second place finish.